|Born||June 28, 1988|
New London, Connecticut, United States
|Other names||The Irish Bad Boy|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Waterford, Connecticut, United States|
|Team||Whaling City Boxing|
Rivera Athletic Center
|Wrestling||NCAA Division III Wrestling|
|Years active||2008, 2012–2017|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Johnson & Wales University|
Colby Community College
|Notable school(s)||Waterford High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Brennan Ward (born June 28, 1988) is a retired American professional mixed martial artist who most recently competed for Bellator MMA. A professional competitor since 2008, Ward formerly competed for CES MMA and was the Bellator Season Nine Middleweight Tournament Winner.
Ward was born in New London, Connecticut and raised in Waterford, Connecticut. Ward's father, Kent, owns a boxing gym, Whaling City Boxing (New London), where Ward began training from a young age. He competed in wrestling at Waterford High School, graduating in 2006, before continuing his career at Colby Community College. Ward later transferred to Johnson & Wales University, which has a Division III program. At Johnson & Wales, Ward demonstrated his talents, earning All-American honors and was also the runner-up in the nation for his weight class, after winning the New England title.
Mixed martial arts career
Ward started his professional career in 2008, but only became active in 2012. He fought mainly for Rhode Island's promotion Classic Entertainment and Sports (CES MMA).
With a record of 5 and 0, Ward signed with Bellator.
Ward was expected to make his debut against Valter Roberto on November 16, 2012, at Bellator 81. However, Roberto was replaced by Sam McCoy due to undisclosed reasons. Ward won via KO in the very first round.
Ward was expected to face Vadiano La Luz on February 28, 2013, at Bellator 91. However, La Luz was replaced by Yair Moguel due to undisclosed reasons. Ward won via submission due to a rear-naked choke in the first round.
Ward was expected to face Dave Vitkay on September 7, 2013, at Bellator 98. However, he was called to replace Andreas Spång against Justin Torrey in the quarterfinal match of Bellator Season Nine Middleweight Tournament at the same event. Ward won via TKO in the second round and advanced to the semifinal.
Ward was expected to face Perry Filkins in the semifinal on October 4, 2013, at Bellator 102. Filkins, however, was injured and replaced by Joe Pacheco. Ward won the fight via submission in the second round.
Ward faced Bellator Middleweight Champion Alexander Shlemenko at Bellator 114 on March 28, 2014. Despite doing well in the first round, Ward lost the bout due to a submission early in the second round.
Ward was expected to face James Irvin at Bellator 123 on September 5, 2014, however, the bout was cancelled for unknown reasons. Ward instead faced Tamdan McCrory on the same card. Ward lost the bout via knockout in the first round.
Ward was expected to make his Welterweight debut against Jesse Juarez on February 27, 2015, at Bellator 134. However, Ward has been moved up to the main card to face Curtis Millender after Millender's opponent, Michael Page, pulled out of the fight due to a cut over his left eye. Ward defeated Millender via submission in the first round.
Ward was expected to face English fighter Gavin Sterritt at Bellator 140 on July 17, 2015. However, a week before the fight, his opponent was changed to Roger Carroll. Ward won the fight via knockout in the first round.
Ward made his international MMA debut on December 31, 2015, as a Bellator MMA representative at Rizin Fighting Federation 2. He faced Ken Hasegawa in a 179-pound catchweight bout and won the fight via submission in the second round.
Ward was expected to face former UFC Welterweight champion Johny Hendricks at World Bare Knuckle Fighting Federation's inaugural event on November 9, 2018. During the fight week, Ward announced that he won't be fighting at the event due to a contract dispute.
On April 8, 2019, Bare Knuckle FC president David Feldman announced that Ward had signed a contract with the organization.
On October 24, 2016, at approximately 7:00pm, Ward rescued a baby trapped in a stroller abandoned along a busy New London road. The baby was subsequently taken to a nearby fire department – and later hospital – where she was determined to be without injury.
On July 4, 2016, at approximately 12:10pm, Ward was arrested by the Waterford Police Department on the charges of breach of peace, interfering with a police officer, threatening a public safety officer, and assault on a public safety officer. According to the police report, an inebriated Ward got into an altercation with his female companion (who was also arrested for breach of peace) and subsequently resisted arrest by physically and verbally assaulting the officers present. Officers were also unable to process Ward at the time of his arrest due to his continued belligerence as he repeatedly banged his head on the Plexiglas divider of the squad car and “continued extreme aggression” in his jail cell. Ward proceeded to call three of the four policemen by their first names as well as threatened them and their families. Police also noted that Ward urinated all over the floor and door of his jail cell. He was released on a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on August 16, 2016. In December 2019, news surfaced that Ward was sentenced to 120 days in prison and is expected to be released early 2020.
Ward also has a pending case from a January 3, 2014, incident, where he is charged with disobeying the signal of a police officer, reckless driving, and interfering with a police officer.
Championships and accomplishments
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- New England Wrestling Association
- NEWA Championship 184 lb: Champion out of Johnson & Wales University (2011)
- Ithaca College Athletics
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||14 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||14–6||Fernando Gonzalez||Submission (guillotine choke)||Bellator 182||August 25, 2017||3||1:02||Verona, New York, United States||Catchweight (180 lbs) bout.|
|Loss||14–5||Paul Daley||KO (flying knee)||Bellator 170||January 21, 2017||1||2:27||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Win||14–4||Saad Awad||KO (punches)||Bellator 163||November 4, 2016||1||1:26||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||13–4||Evangelista Santos||Submission (heel hook)||Bellator 153||April 22, 2016||1||0:30||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||13–3||Ken Hasegawa||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rizin Fighting Federation 2||December 31, 2015||2||1:52||Saitama, Saitama, Japan||Catchweight (179 lbs) bout.|
|Win||12–3||Dennis Olson||KO (punches)||Bellator 144||October 23, 2015||1||4:37||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||11–3||Roger Carroll||KO (punch)||Bellator 140||July 17, 2015||1||2:06||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||10–3||Curtis Millender||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 134||February 27, 2015||1||1:39||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Loss||9–3||Tamdan McCrory||KO (punches)||Bellator 123||September 5, 2014||1||0:21||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||9–2||Alexander Shlemenko||Submission (guillotine choke)||Bellator 114||March 28, 2014||2||1:22||West Valley City, Utah, United States||For the Bellator Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||Mikkel Parlo||TKO (punches)||Bellator 107||November 8, 2013||2||1:39||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States||Bellator Season Nine Middleweight Tournament Final.|
|Win||8–1||Joe Pacheco||Submission (guillotine choke)||Bellator 102||October 4, 2013||2||2:41||Visalia, California, United States||Bellator Season Nine Middleweight Tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||7–1||Justin Torrey||TKO (punches)||Bellator 98||September 7, 2013||2||3:28||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Bellator Season Nine Middleweight Tournament Quarterfinal.|
|Win||6–1||Yair Moguel||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 91||February 28, 2013||1||0:57||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States||Catchweight (187 lbs) bout; Moguel missed weight.|
|Loss||5–1||Aaron Johnson||Submission (armbar)||Bellator 89||February 14, 2013||1||0:15||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||5–0||Sam McCoy||KO (punches)||Bellator 81||November 16, 2012||1||2:49||Kingston, Rhode Island, United States|
|Win||4–0||Shedrick Goodridge||TKO (punches)||CES MMA: Real Pain||October 6, 2012||1||2:36||Providence, Rhode Island, United States||Catchweight (188 lbs) bout.|
|Win||3–0||Harley Beekman||Decision (unanimous)||CES MMA: Never Surrender||April 13, 2012||3||5:00||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brennan Scholz||TKO (punches)||CES MMA: Extreme Measures||February 3, 2012||1||1:32||Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States||Catchweight (190 lbs) bout.|
|Win||1–0||Mike Manna||TKO (punches)||USFL: War in the Woods 2||February 23, 2008||1||2:15||Ledyard, Connecticut, United States|
- "Brennan Ward's profile". Bellator.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2015-07-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Brennan Ward & William Mulligan earn NCAA bids at NEWA championship". Providence.JWUathletics.com. February 27, 2011. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Valter Roberto vs. Brennan Ward: Bellator 81". Tapology.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Brian Knapp (November 16, 2012). "Marcin Held, Dave Jansen punch tickets to lightweight final at Bellator 81". Sherdog.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Tristen Critchfield (November 16, 2012). "Eduardo Dantas starches teammate Marcos Galvão, defends 135-pound title at Bellator 89". Sherdog.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Brennan Ward vs. Vadiano La Luz: Bellator 91". Tapology.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Brian Knapp (February 28, 2013). "Attila Vegh dethrones Christian M'Pumbu, takes light heavyweight title at Bellator 91". Sherdog.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (September 6, 2013). "Andreas Spang ruled out of Bellator 98, Justin Torrey meets Brennan Ward". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (September 7, 2013). "Bellator 98 results: Shlemenko retains title in slugfest with Cooper". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on September 10, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Nick Mahmood (September 25, 2013). "Perry Filkins suffers injury, out of Bellator tournament". Mass-MMA.com. Archived from the original on October 18, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (October 4, 2013). "Bellator 102 results: Kongo flattens Godbeer, Queiroz whacks Johnson". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (November 8, 2013). "Bellator 107 results: Kongo, Warren, Ward post tourney wins". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- Staff (January 15, 2014). "Middleweight champ Alexander Shlemenko faces Brennan Ward at Bellator 114". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Bellator 123 Fight Card Finalized With Fourteen Bouts". mmaweekly.com. July 22, 2014.
- "Bellator 134 prelims: 'The Silencer,' 'The Freight Train,' 'The Irish Bad Boy,' 'The Barn Cat'". mmajunkie.com. February 5, 2015.
- Marc Raimondi (February 23, 2015). "Michael Page out of Bellator 134, Brennan Ward fills in to face Curtis Millender". mmafighting.com.
- "MICHAEL PAGE INJURED; BRENNAN WARD REPLACES 'MVP' AT FRIDAY'S BELLATOR 134". sherdog.com. February 23, 2015.
- Staff (May 27, 2015). "Gavin Sterritt vs. Brennan Ward added to July's Bellator 140 in Connecticut". mmajunkie.com.
- "Cyborg' Santos-Brennan Ward, Patricio Freire-John Teixeira Booked for Bellator 153".
- Matt Erickson (August 25, 2017). "Bellator 182 results: Ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov pounds out Chidi Njokuani in first round". mmajunkie.com.
- Mike Bohn (September 25, 2017). "David Rickels vs. Brennan Ward among new additions to Bellator 185 on Oct. 20". mmajunkie.com.
- Dann Stupp and Matt Erickson (October 16, 2017). "Friday's Bellator 185 lineup loses 2 main-card bouts". mmajunkie.com.
- "Andre Fialho vs. Brennan Ward added to Bellator 207 in Uncasville". MMAjunkie. 2018-08-18. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Mike Bohn (September 10, 2018). "Brennan Ward set to retire from MMA after Bellator 207 withdrawal". mmajunkie.com.
- Steven Marrocco (November 9, 2018). "Brennan Ward pulls out of bare-knuckle fight vs. Johny Hendricks after WBKFF contract dispute". mmajunkie.com.
- Dave Doyle (April 8, 2019). "BKFC president David Feldman says Brennan Ward signs with promotion". mmajunkie.com.
- "Father arrested after toddler found abandoned on New London street". wtnh.com. October 25, 2016. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Police logs - July 5". TheDay.com. July 4, 2016. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "MMA fighter tussles with Waterford cops". TheDay.com. July 7, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- Nolan King (December 9, 2019). "Brennan Ward hated fighting and felt guilty, but now he's itching to make Bellator return". mmajunkie.com.
- "JWU's Brennan Ward takes second at NCAA division III championship". Providence.JWUathletics.com. March 6, 2010. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "JWU wrestling takes third at Ithaca Bombers Invitational". Providence.JWUathletics.com. November 8, 2009. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "2010 Ithaca invitational results" (PDF). Centenarycollege.edu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-27. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Press release (February 27, 2013). "Bellator 91 weigh-in results: Christian M'Pumbu vs. Attila Vegh title fight set". MMAweekly.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Brennan Ward vs. Shedrick Goodridge: CES 13: Real Pain". Tapology.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Brennan Ward vs. Josh Mellen: CES 9: Extreme Measures". Tapology.com. Retrieved September 23, 2013.