Lillibridge while with the Chicago White Sox in 2011
September 18, 1983 |
|April 26, 2008, for the Atlanta Braves|
|August 4, 2013, for the New York Yankees|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||71|
|Representing United States|
|Pan American Games|
|2003 Santo Domingo||Team competition|
Brent Stuart Lillibridge (born September 18, 1983) is an American former professional baseball infielder and outfielder. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Atlanta Braves, Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs and New York Yankees. He is known for his versatile playing skills, defensive prowess in the outfield, and is a utility player having started at every position except pitcher and catcher so far in his career.
Lillibridge began the 2008 season in Triple-A for the Richmond Braves. He played 19 games and batted .195 with one home run before his contract was purchased on April 26, 2008. He made his major league debut on that same day against the New York Mets and had four at bats and struck out three times. He doubled for his first major league hit on June 25, 2008 at Toronto.
Chicago White Sox
Lillibridge garnered media coverage after he made two back-to-back, game-saving and game-ending defensive catches while playing right field on April 26, 2011. The catches comprised the two final outs of a game played against the New York Yankees in Yankee Stadium and resulted in the White Sox getting the victory.
Boston Red Sox
Lillibridge was traded by Boston to the Cleveland Indians on July 24, for minor league pitcher José De La Torre. On November 20, 2012, Lillibridge was assigned outright to the Indians Triple-A affiliate Columbus Clippers. Lillibridge declined the assignment to Columbus and was granted free agency on November 26.
On January 10, 2013, Lillibridge signed a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs. On March 31, the Cubs added Lillibridge to their major league active roster. He was designated for assignment on April 16, 2013. On April 19, Lillibridge cleared waivers, and was assigned to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs of the Pacific Coast League.
New York Yankees
On June 21, 2013, Lillibridge was traded to the New York Yankees for cash considerations. The Yankees promoted Lillibridge to the major leagues when they placed Derek Jeter on the disabled list on July 19. He was designated for assignment to make room for the activation of Alex Rodriguez on August 5. He was outrighted from the 40-man roster and optioned to Triple-A on August 9. He declared free agency on October 1.
Lillibridge signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers on December 12, 2013. He was assigned to the minor league camp on March 22, 2014 failing to make the Rangers' opening day roster. He became a free agent after the 2014 season.
- http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20150421/SPORTS/150429846. Retrieved July 19, 2013. Missing or empty
- "Brent Lillibridge Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "2005 Washington Baseball Roster". University of Washington. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- "University of Washington Baseball Players Who Made It to a Major League Baseball Team". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "Lillibridge, Everitt Selected In MLB Draft". Gohuskies.com. June 7, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Braves trade LaRoche to Bucs for Gonzalez". Sports.espn.go.com. January 19, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Lillibridge To Make MLB Debut Today". Gohuskies.com. April 26, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Francoeur's tiebreaking single helps Braves bury Padres". Espn.go.com. July 12, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Braves complete Vazquez deal". MLB.com. December 4, 2008. Retrieved December 4, 2008.
- "10,000 Franchise HR". MLB.com. April 11, 2011. Retrieved April 11, 2011.
- "In case you missed the game-saving catches by White Sox OF Brent Lillibridge (video)". Chicago Sun-Times. November 27, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- Merkin, Scott. "White Sox acquire Youkilis from Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- Bastian, Jordan (July 24, 2012). "Tribe acquires Lillibridge from Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Twitter / CSNMooney: #Cubs sign Valbuena, avoid". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- John Arguello (April 19, 2013). "Cubs Game Notes and Thread: Doing the roster shuffle — Lillibridge, Gonzalez, Takahashi | Cubs Den". Chicagonow.com. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Padilla, Doug (April 26, 2011). "Cubs trade utility man Lillibridge to Yanks". Espn.go.com. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Snyder, Matt. "Yankees place Derek Jeter on disabled list". CBSSports.com. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Texas Rangers send Brent Lillibridge to minor league camp". Dallasnews.com. Retrieved 22 March 2014.