Brent Michael Davids (born June 4, 1959 in Madison, Wisconsin, United States) is an American composer and flautist. He is a member of the Stockbridge Mohican nation of American Indians. He has composed for Zeitgeist, the Kronos Quartet, Joffrey Ballet, the National Symphony Orchestra, and Chanticleer.
He holds a B.M. degree in music composition from Northern Illinois University (1981) and an M.M. in music composition from Arizona State University (1990), and is currently pursuing an M.A. in American Indian religious studies from Arizona State University.
In addition to concert music, Davids writes music for films. He composed music for the 2002 film The Business of Fancydancing and has composed a new score for the American 1920 film The Last of the Mohicans. In 2013, he was honored with a NACF Artist Fellowship in Music.
Davids' Mohican name is Blue Butterfly. He lives in Saint Paul, Minnesota and is an active participant with the First Nations Composer Initiative. He has also served as Composer-in-Residence with the Native American Composers Apprenticeship Project.
- 1992 - Brent Michael Davids. Ní-tCâng. Blue Butterfly Group.
- 2002 - The Business of Fancydancing. FallsApart Records/RezRoad.
- 2002 - Chanticleer. Our American Journey. Contains The Un-covered Wagon by Brent Michael Davids. Teldec.
- 2003 - The Nebraska Children's Chorus and Bel Canto, dir. Z. Randall Stroope. Homeland. Contains Zuni Sunrise Song by Brent Michael Davids (1995).
- 2011 - Valor's Kids
- ^ http://www.nativeartsandcultures.org/individual/2013/brent-michael-davids Brent Michael Davids (Mohican), 2013 NACF Music Fellow. Retrieved 5/12/2014.