||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In 2007, he hosted Sir Paul McCartney's special live appearance at Amoeba Music. His verbatim performance of R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet in its entirety earned him a mention in both a Los Angeles Times blog, and in the New York Times among others. On the stage, he was hand-picked by Woody Allen to appear in the Los Angeles Opera production of Gianni Schicchi. He also appeared on the Bravo improvised television series Significant Others as well as Season 5 of Friday Night Lights on NBC and Season 1 of The Lying Game on ABC Family.
In 1999, he was called Austin’s best stand-up comic in the Arts and Entertainment section of the Austin Chronicle.. TheAustin Chronicle described Brently as “one of the most prolific and inventive comics anywhere,” also providing a mediocre review for his solo show All Things Delicious: What the hell is inside the sizzle pot?. At Amoeba, Brently hosts monthly charity auctions benefiting victims of Hurricane Katrina and other green charities. He currently host the web show Daily Uke by Brently which premiered on January 1, 2011 and promises a song a day until December 31, 2011.
He wrote and performed some works digitally published by his production company, Vaudeville Heartthrob Recordings.
- "Paul McCartney Rocks Amoeba Records". Glide Magazine. July 1, 2007.
- Melina Ryzik (August 16, 2007). "R. Kelly’s Killer Serial: Video, Music, Cliffhangers, Midgets". The New York Times.
- Rebecca Epstein (February 23, 2006). "Closet Session". LA City Beat.
- "Significant Others". hollywood.com.
- "Best of Austin: Arts & Entertainment". Austin Chronicle. September 24, 1999.
- Ada Calhoun (December 10, 1999). "Arts: Exhibitionism: Local Arts Reviews". Austin Chronicle.
- "Amoeba Music Auctions". Amoeba Music.
- Graupmann, Michael. Friends throw 1st Annual Leslie Fest in honor of the Austin icon. Austin Culture Map (July 13, 2012).
- Ura, Alexa. Friends of Leslie to organize fundraiser benefitting Hospice Austin. Daily Texan (April 20, 2012).