Brenton is an English place name and surname. The surname Brenton indicates that one's ancestors came from a place called Brenton near Exminster, England, the original meaning of which was "Bryni's homestead". Bryni was an Old English given name based on the word bryne, "flame". (Hanks and Hodges 1988).
Brenton is now also used as a given name in English speaking countries. It has been one of the thousand most common names for boys born in the United States since 1966. The name can be commonly found in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
People with the given name
- Brenton Lawrence (born 1984), Australian Rugby League player
- Brenton Metzler, American producer
- Brenton Thwaites (born 1989), Australian Actor
People with the surname
- Sir Jahleel Brenton, 1st Baronet, KCB (1770–1844), British Admiral
- Lancelot Charles Lee Brenton (1807-1862), translator of the Septuagint
- Marianne Brenton (1933–2013), American politician
- "www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ SSA baby names site". Retrieved 2007-02-07.
|given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|