Basanez at the Bears' Football 101 event in 2009
|No. 14, 12|
|Date of birth:||May 11, 1983|
|Place of birth:||Los Angeles, California|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||208 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Arlington Heights (IL) St. Viator|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Brett Stephen Basanez (born May 11, 1983) is a former American football quarterback. He was signed by the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He played college football at Northwestern.
Basanez was also a member of the Chicago Bears.
Basanez played college football at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, where he holds many school records for passing categories, including passing yards (10,580) and total offense (11,576). Basanez ranks 13th on the NCAA's all-time list for total offense, and 28th on the all-time list for passing yards. He was close to becoming the only player in NCAA history with 10,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards (Basanez picked up 996 yards on the ground while at NU). He set two Sun Bowl records in the 2005 Sun Bowl: 38 completions and total offense of 448 yards. His 50 attempts in the game are tied for second, with Kyle Orton and Byron Leftwich in all-time bowls, trailing only Mike Kafka, another Northwestern Wildcat QB.
- Total Offense (11,576)
- Passing Attempts (1,584)
- Passing Completions (913)
- Passing Yards (10,580)
- Passing Touchdowns (44) (ties record)
- Wins (22)
- Games Passing for 200 Yards (26)
- Games Passing for 300 Yards (10)
- Games Passing for 400 Yards (3)
- Consecutive Games Passing for 200 Yards (10)
- Consecutive Games Passing for 300 Yards (5)
- Total Offense (4,045) 2005
- Passing Attempts (497) 2005
- Passing Completions (314) 2005
- Passing Yards (3,622) 2005
- Passing Touchdowns (21)
- Passing Yards Gained in Two Consecutive Games (824) 2005
- Passing Yards Gained in Three Consecutive Games (1,155) 2005
- Passing Yards Gained in Four Consecutive Games (1,481) 2005
- Passing Yards Gained in Five Consecutive Games (1,819) 2005
- Games Passing for 200 Yards (11) 2005
- Games Passing for 300 Yards (7) 2005
- Consecutive Games Passing for 200 Yards (9) 2005
- Consecutive Games Passing for 300 Yards (5) 2005
- Passing Efficiency Rating (135.1) 2005
- Passing Completion Percentage (.632) 2005
- Total Offense (548) vs. TCU, 2004
- Passing TD's in a Half (3) vs. TCU, 2004 (ties record)
- Passing Completion Percentage (.806, 25-of-31) vs. Illinois, 2005
Basanez was signed by the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent following the 2006 NFL Draft on May 1, 2006. He was waived on September 2 and re-signed to the practice squad on September 3. He was promoted to the active roster on December 10.
He was released on August 30, 2008 during final roster cuts and re-signed to the practice squad on September 3.
Basanez was signed by the Chicago Bears in February 2009 to a two-year contract. He was waived on September 5 and re-signed to the practice squad on September 6. He was promoted to the active roster on December 30. He was waived/injured on May 19, 2010, and reverted to injured reserve. He was released from injured reserve with an injury settlement on September 12, 2010.