Beyer was born in Sydney, the youngest of three boys. He studied Sport Science at Wollongong University from 1985-1987.
Beyer's first major success as club, state, national and junior world champion in the Cherub class in 1983. He has been honoured as lifelong member with a prestigious Sydney Sailing Club. Since 2000 he has been thrice nominated as "Yachtman of the year". In 2007, he was nominated as Master Athlete of the year. In 2014, he won his ninth World Championship. In 2015, he was nominated and won Sports NSW 'Master Athlete of 2014' amongst all sports in NSW.
His knowledge and commitment to the physical and mental requirements of elite competitive sports have held him in good stead for his own racing and ultimately, passing on those skills and knowledge to those aspiring for Olympic medals.
Beyer is known for a high standard of sportsmanship and athleticism, putting in many hours in practice sailing sessions and running innovative coaching programs. Beyer has achieved much success in the World Laser Masters Championship with ten gold medals, two silver and one bronze in the Apprentice and Master divisions since 2001. Brett Beyer has produced and lectured Level 2 and 3 coaching courses with an emphasis on the physiology involved in competitive sailing as well as the complex tactical strategies required for success. Brett has also contributed to ISAF Olympic Solidarity Courses around the world designed to assist developing nations to have sailing exposure.
Brett has also worked closely with premier sailing apparel manufacturer, Zhik, since its inception. "I wanted Brett on the Zhik team when we first founded the business", said Brian Conolly. "I knew he would provide us with the most analytical mind in the business. His feedback on product design has helped lead us to some great innovations. He is also a most brilliant coach and highly regarded on the world circuit."
From 2000 he has spent a considerable part of his time internationally coaching the Olympic elite. Beyer has been working with Singapore Olympic Laser team since 2003 and helped them secure Olympic representation in the Laser and Laser Radial classes for the 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games. He is now working freelance with several top sailors with the mission of achieving a medal in 2016 and 2020 Olympics.
These days, Brett is running his Independent elite Laser group that is committed to qualifying for the Olympic Games in RIO. (Update.....this has been achieved in 2014). He limits the group to 3 elite sailors that are invited to be full-time participants in his training and racing program. This consists of a 6-month European racing circuit and several months for the Australian and New Zealand circuits. His current sailors are from Singapore, South Africa, Ireland and Canada. Each sailor bring his own strength and talent to the team. Brett has now competed himself or coached in 34 different countries and all States and Territories around Australia. His wealth of experience and successful coaching background has held him in high demand for high performance sailing across all classes.
Beyer now has an industry reputation of commitment, productivity and success and is looking forward to continued success.
Sports NSW Master Athlete of 2015
Laser/ Masters States results
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2001
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2002
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2003
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2004
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2005
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2006
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2007
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2008
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2009
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2010
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2012
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2013
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2014
- 1st NSW State Masters Champion 2015
Australian Master National Championships
- 1st Australian Masters National Championships 2011
- 1st Australian Masters National Championships 2012 Brisabane, QLD .Aus
- 1st Australian Masters National Championships 2014. Paynesville, VIC
- 1st Australian Masters National Championships 2016, Port Stephens, NSW
- 1st Flying Dutchman NSW State Championship 2003
- 4th Flying Dutchman Worlds 2004 Melbourne Australia
- 2nd 505 NSW State Championship 2010 Coffs Harbour
Laser NSW State Championships
- 1st NSW State Championships 1999
- 2nd NSW State Championships 2000
- 2nd NSW State Championships 2004
- 2nd NSW State Championships 2005
- 1st VIC State Championships 2006
- 1st NSW State Championships 2007
- 1st NSW State Championships 2009
- 1st NSW State Championships 2010
- 1st NSW Coastal Champion 2005
- 1st NSW Metropolitan Championship 2005
- 1st NSW Coastal Champion 2006
- 1st NSW Metropolitan Championship 2007
- 2nd Sail Melbourne Regatta 2007
- 1st NSW Coast Championship 2008
- 1st NSW Coast Championship 2011 Toronto NSW
- 1st NSW State Championships 2016
Laser Master World Championships
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2001, Cork, Ireland.
- 2nd Laser World Masters Championships 2002, Hyannis, Cape Cod, USA.
- 3rd Laser World Masters Championships 2003, Cadiz, Spain.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2004, Boderim, Turkey.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2005, Fortaleza, Brazil.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2006, JeJu, Korea.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2007, Roses, Spain.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2008, Terrigal, Australia.
- 2nd Laser World Masters Championships 2009, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2010, Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK.
- 1st Laser World Masters Games 2010, Sydney, Australia.
- 2nd Laser World Masters Champion 2011, San Francisco, USA.
- 1st Laser World Masters Champion 2012, Brisbane QLD Australia.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2014, Hyeres. France.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2015, Kingston. Canada.
- 1st Laser World Masters Championships 2016, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
This is an unprecedented 11 Worlds from 14 attempts!
- http://www.impropercourse.com/search/label/Brett%20Beyer (not my Blogsite)
- Sports NSW Awards
- Sailing news 2000 Profile Coach Brett Beyer
- Flying Dutchman Worlds
- Sail World Results Laser International 2005
- Yachting Australia, October 2006 report Master Championships
- Australian Sailing, February 2007 edition for a comprehensive report
- Laser Master Championships Feb 2008, By Di pearson Media Manager
- Yachting NSW Yachting Awards
- Pre-Worlds Media Release
- 505 NSW title report by Ian Gregg Feb 2010
- SingaporeSailing Report
- http://www.pacificsailingschool.com.au_blog/our_sailing_news/post/hank_finishesin_top_10_masters[permanent dead link]