Kern in 2009.
|No. 6 Tennessee Titans|
|Date of birth:||February 17, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Grand Island, New York|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||217 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Grand Island (NY)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Brett Kern (born February 17, 1986) is an American football punter for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played college football at Toledo.
Kern played college football at the University of Toledo for coach Tom Amstutz. The MAC Report Online named Kern the Mid-American Conference’s ‘’Special Teams Player of the Year’’ in 2007. Kern was also a finalist for the Ray Guy Award in 2007. That year, he averaged 46.5 yards per punt, second in the nation.
During his rookie season with the Broncos Kern attempted 46 punts for an average of 46.7, his longest punt of the year was 64 yards against the San Diego Chargers in week 2. He gave away one touchdown this year against the Oakland Raiders in week 12 when Johnnie Lee Higgins took the punt back 89 yards for the score.
Kern was claimed off waivers by the Tennessee Titans replacing Reggie Hodges. At the time Kern was released from the Broncos and claimed by the Titans, the Broncos were 6-0 while the Titans were 0-6. A subsequent Titans winning streak and Broncos losing streak led to a situation where teams with Kern on the roster had compiled a record of 11-0 to begin the season, despite the two teams being a collective 12-10 overall in that period. On March 8, 2015, Kern was signed to a five-year $15 million contract by the Tennessee Titans.
Kern is the son of Cal Kern, owner of the amateur Niagara Power baseball team. Kern is a 2004 graduate of Grand Island High School where he was All-New York State as a senior and a member of the schools Section VI championship . Following graduation from high school, Kern represented New York State in the New York-New Jersey Governor's Bowl played at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
- "Brett Kern Named MAC Report Online 2007 Special Teams Player of the Year - University of Toledo Rockets Athletics Official Site - UTRockets.com". www.utrockets.com. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Brian Nowicki (November 19, 2007). "Brett Kern Named Ray Guy Award Finalist". ROCKET DIGEST.COM. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Nowicki, Brian. "Scout.com: Brett Kern Named Ray Guy Semifinalist". toledo.scout.com. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Jones, Lindsay H. (August 31, 2008). "Kern survives punters' war". Denver Post.
- "Kern waived; Berger new Broncos punter". Denver Post. October 26, 2009.
- Hanzus, Dan (March 8, 2015). "Titans, Brett Kern agree on multiyear contract". NFL.