Brett King (businessman)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||April 24, 1968|
Brett King (born April 24, 1968 in Melbourne, Australia) is an Australian futurist, the author of several books about the banking industry and the co-founder and CEO of Moven, a New York-based mobile banking startup.
Bank 2.0, (2010) mapped technological innovations being used by banks to better use things like social media, mobile devices, and business intelligence—while pointing out that the world’s banks were adapting at a relatively slow pace as compared to the evolution of the technologies involved. Information Age wrote of the work that, “King’s overall argument is that the credit crunch and ensuing recession have intensified the need for innovation in the financial services sector.”
Branch Today, Gone Tomorrow, (2011) discusses further about how banks are not innovating fast enough to stay relevant against their competitors. One of the key arguments King uses, is that disruptive technologies change consumer behavior, which can lead consumers to leave their traditional institutions.
BANK 3.0. Why Banking Is No Longer Somewhere You Go But Something You Do (2012)  King has said that the difference between this work and Bank 2.0 was that the former work was an awareness raising effort, and in Bank 3.0, King provides solutions to everyday banking problems—partially inspired by his app Moven. He also provides questio ns for banks to answer in terms of how they can regain their competitive edge.
Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking?, (2014) named for his radio show e, has the central premise that the banking system is broken, and that banking innovators are fixing the system rather than breaking it down themselves. Jane Haskin of Banking Exchange wrote that “every banker should read this book” and that “After I read one of Brett King’s books, I am always uneasy because it makes me realize how fast banking is changing.”
King is a guest blogger with Huffington Post, in addition to writing for the BBC. SeekingAlpha, and American Banker. He has also appeared as an industry commentator on cable and network news, . and hosts a radio show " Breaking Banks" on VoiceAmerica, with about nine million monthly listeners and with WVNJ 1160 in New York. He has also partnered with FinExtra to produce on-air interviews with women leaders in the financial tech sector.
In 2011 the mobile banking application Movenbank (now known as Moven) was founded by King and Alex Sion. The app provides real-time updates for debit card purchases. In July 2012 Moven raised an initial $2.4m of seed money the Beta version went live in February 2013. Moven was named "Best in Show" at Finovate 2013 in London. Moven raised a Series A investment round of $8m for product development and international expansion in July 2014. The company is headquartered in New York City and has partnered with banks including TD Bank in its app’s operation. For his work, in 2012 King was named "Bank Technology News Innovator of the Year" by the trade newspaper American Banker.
- Mikhailova, Anna (2 December 2012). "Fame and Fortune: Talk isn’t cheap for bank author". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Book review: Bank 2.0". information-age.com.
- "Brett King - Profile". Huffington Post. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Frank Sorrentino. "Where Banking Meets Tech: Why Businesses Must Adapt, Or Else". Forbes.
- "Brett King and the Death of the Branch: Part 1". cutimes.com.
- Ryan, Philip (20 April 2013). "A Survival Manual for Banks: The Bank Innovation Book Review of Brett King’s ‘Bank 3.0′". Bank Innovation. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "The Future of Banking Is All About Context: Brett King". American Banker.
- Jane Haskin. "Upgrade for Brett King's Bank 2.0". bankingexchange.com.
- "Brett King on creating the downloadable bank". Wired UK.
- Jane Haskin. "Rebooting your view of the future". bankingexchange.com.
- King, Brett (23 November 2012). "Viewpoint: The end of High Street banking as we know it". BBC News. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Instant banking with Moven.com". NBCNews.com.
- "Banking in the palm of your hand". Fox Business.
- "Breaking Banks", Voice America.
- "Interview with Author Brett King or Breaking Banks!". AnthemVault News.
- "Finextra: Finextra news: Women of FinTech: Claire Cockerton, CEO Innovate Finance". Finextra Research.
- "FinovateSpring 2013 Video Archives >> Moven". Finovate.
- Tom Groenfeldt. "TD Partners With Moven For Mobile Money Management". Forbes.
- "Movenbank Announces Completion of US$2.41M Seed Round Funding". PR Web. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Moven Bags $8M To Take Its Mobile Banking App Overseas". TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "How Moven, a venture-backed mobile banking app, landed in suburban Philly". Technical.ly.
- "TD to help customers pinch pennies with new app". The Globe and Mail.
- "Innovators of the Year. Brett King, Movenbank", American Banker.
- King, Brett "Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking" (April 3, 2014, Wiley)
- King, Brett BANK 3.0 – Why Banking Is No Longer Somewhere You Go But Something You Do (December 26, 2012, Wiley)
- King, Brett Branch Today, Gone Tomorrow (January 13, 2012, Kindle e-Book)
- King, Brett BANK 2.0 - How Customer Behavior and Technology will Change the Future of Financial Services Forever (April 15, 2010, Marshall Cavendish)