Brian Smith (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Edinburgh|
|Church||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Diocese||Diocese of Edinburgh|
|In office||2001 – 15 August 2011 (retired)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Tonbridge (1993–2001)
Archdeacon of Craven (1987–1993)
|Ordination||1972 (deacon); 1973 (priest)|
15 August 1943 |
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
|Parents||Arthur & Doris|
|Spouse||Elizabeth Hutchinson (m. 1970)|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
Early life and education
Smith was ordained in 1973. He began his ordained ministry with a Curacy at Church of All Saints, Cuddesdon, during which he was also a tutor in doctrine at Ripon College Cuddesdon . From here he became successively Director of Training within the Diocese of Wakefield, the Archdeacon of Craven and the Bishop of Tonbridge before his translation to the episcopal see of Edinburgh.
He retired as Bishop of Edinburgh on Monday, 15 August 2011.
- Official website
- Who’s Who 2008 (London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8)
- Between 1968 and 1973 he also gained further degrees at The University of Cambridge –Debrett's People of Today: Ed Ellis,P 1992, London, Debtrett's ISBN 1-870520-09-2
- Crockfords On line- accessed Saturday 21 April 2008, 20:09
- Date of appointment
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-28.
- Biographical details Archived 10 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|