Brian Baker (musician)
|Born||February 25, 1965|
|Genres||Hardcore punk, punk rock|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass guitar, vocals|
|Labels||Dischord, Epitaph, Atlantic, Geffen|
|Associated acts||Minor Threat, Samhain, Dag Nasty, The Meatmen, Bad Religion, Government Issue, Junkyard|
Brian Baker (born February 25, 1965) is an American punk rock musician. He is best known as one of the founding members of the hardcore punk band Minor Threat, and as a guitarist in Bad Religion since 1994. In Minor Threat, he originally played bass guitar before switching to guitar in 1982 when Steve Hansgen joined the band, and then moved back to bass after Hansgen's departure. He also founded Dag Nasty in 1985, was part of the original line-up of Samhain, and has had stints in Doggy Style, The Meatmen (with fellow Minor Threat member Lyle Preslar), Government Issue, and Junkyard (a hard rock band).
In 1994 Baker was offered a spot as a touring musician with R.E.M. but declined, opting instead to accept a position in Bad Religion as Brett Gurewitz's replacement. He has also experimented with a more pop direction influenced by U2, with a band called 400. Baker briefly toured with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes in 2005 and appeared on Canadian punk band Penelope's second album (Face au silence du monde).
- The Gray Race (1996)
- Tested (1997)
- No Substance (1998)
- The New America (2000)
- The Process of Belief (2002)
- The Empire Strikes First (2004)
- New Maps of Hell (2007)
- The Dissent of Man (2010)
- True North (2013)
- The Last Laugh (1986)
- Can I Say (1986)
- Wig Out at Denko's (1987)
- Field Day (1988)
- Four on the Floor (1992)
- Minority of One (2002)
- Cold Heart 7" (2016)
- War of the Superbikes (1984)
- Make An Effort EP (1982)
- Junkyard (1989)
- Sixes, Sevens & Nines (1991)
- Shut Up – We're Trying To Practice! (2000)
- Tried and True (2003)
- High Water (2017)
- Azerrad, Michael (2001). Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981–1991. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0-316-78753-1.
- Blush, Steven (2001). Petros, George, ed. American Hardcore: A Tribal History. Feral House. ISBN 978-0-922915-71-2.
- Cogan, Brian (2008). The Encyclopedia of Punk. Sterling. ISBN 978-1-4027-5960-4.
- "Dischord Records: Minor Threat". Dischord Records. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Bad Religion – 30 Years". Badreligion.com. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Dischord Records: Dag Nasty". Dischord Records. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Bio". The Meatmen. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Government Issue - Make An Effort EP". Discogs. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-10-28. Retrieved 2018-04-29.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Sharpe-Young, Garry (2005). New Wave of American Heavy Metal. Zonda Books Limited. p. 46. ISBN 0958268401.
- 1989-2012, Mark Kennedy, copyright. "The 400 :: MisfitsCentral.com". Misfitscentral.com. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Daghouse - Brianography". Daghouse.com. Retrieved 5 August 2018.