Brian Duffield is an American screenwriter known for his frequent feature script sales in the 2010s, which include the screenplays for The Babysitter (2017), Underwater (2020), and his 2011 Blacklist scripts Jane Got a Gun (2015) and Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch.
Duffield grew up in the suburbs of Pennsylvania with his parents, Brian and Brenda Duffield, and sister. In 1995, at nine years old, he moved to Ireland when his parents decided to become missionaries. He described the surroundings as completely remote and lagging in popular culture. Duffield attended school where in one classroom, three grades were being taught by one teacher, which he described as very "Little House on the Prairie-esque". He moved back to the US when he graduated high school in 2004.
Duffield graduated from both Temple University and Messiah College in 2008. After graduation, he moved to Universal City, California for a summer internship through Temple University at the Oakwoods apartments prior to the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike and at the beginning of the Great Recession.
From there, Duffield worked various jobs before becoming a professional screenwriter. His first job in Los Angeles was at the now defunct Storyopolis, a children's book store/art gallery, in Studio City, where he worked with writer Blake Harris. He has also worked as an assistant and script reader within the film industry for several years. Prior to selling his first spec screenplay, Duffield was temping at the Lucky Brand Jeans factory in nearby Vernon, California.
Duffield first spec sale was for Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch to Skydance Media. The story is partially based on his personal experience with his friends' weddings and a slew of failed relationships. His friend from college had sent a copy to a contact at Circle of Confusion management company, who later offered to be Duffield's manager. Several days later, they got a meeting with Skydance, who bought the script. Eli Craig was last attached to direct and rewrite the film in May 2015. Black List Live!, a live monthly stage reading of scripts featured on the Black List, did a performance of Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch in 2014.
Duffield sold his script for Monster Problems to Paramount Pictures in 2012. Matthew Robinson was later brought on for rewrites and Michael Matthews is set to direct the film. As of October 2019, it is set to premiere in April 2020.
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||with Akiva Goldsman and Mark Bomback|
|2015||Jane Got a Gun||with Anthony Tambakis and Joel Edgerton|
|2020||Underwater||with Adam Cozad|
- "How I Broke In: Brian Duffield". Final Draft®. 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2019-12-29.
- Myers, Scott (2016-10-27). "Interview [Part 1]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- admin (2012-02-09). "Screenwriter Interview - Brian Duffield". ScriptShadow. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- "The Inferior Bio I Went With:". Your Spontaneous Screenwriter. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Amanda (2014-02-27). "The Aspiring TV Writer & Screenwriter Blog: LA FIRSTS: Brian Duffield". The Aspiring TV Writer & Screenwriter Blog. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Utopia, Screenwriter's. "10 Questions with INSURGENT & JANE GOT A GUN Screenwriter Brian Duffield". Screenwriter's Utopia. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- Myers, Scott (2016-10-27). "Interview [Part 3]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- Myers, Scott (2016-10-27). "Interview [Part 6]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- Jr, Mike Fleming; Jr, Mike Fleming (2012-05-11). "'Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil' Helmer Eli Craig Takes On 'Your Bridesmaid's A Bitch'". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-12-29.
- Gluck, Marissa (2014-11-13). "In L.A., Unproduced Film Scripts Find New Life Onstage". T Magazine. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- "Paramount Developing Post-Apocalyptic Road Movie with Shawn Levy (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- Pedersen, Erik; Pedersen, Erik (2019-10-23). "'Monster Problems': Paramount Moves Dylan O'Brien Pic To Pre-Summer Slot". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-12-31.
- Trumbore, Dave (2013-05-07). "Summit Sets Brian Duffield to Pen DIVERGENT Sequel, INSURGENT". Collider. Retrieved 2019-12-29.
- The Babysitter Review - IGN, retrieved 2019-12-29