|Born||November 5, 1985|
Brian Duffield (born November 5, 1985) is an American screenwriter known for his frequent feature script sales in the 2010s, which include the screenplays for The Babysitter (2017), Underwater (2020), and his 2011 Black List scripts Jane Got a Gun (2015) and Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch.
Duffield grew up in the suburbs of Pennsylvania with his parents, Brian and Brenda Duffield, and two sisters. In 1995, at nine years old, he moved to Ireland when his parents decided to become missionaries. He described the surroundings as completely remote and lagging in popular culture. Duffield attended school where in one classroom, three grades were being taught by one teacher, which he described as very "Little House on the Prairie-esque". He moved back to the US when he graduated high school in 2004.
Duffield graduated from both Temple University and Messiah College in 2008. After graduation, he moved to Universal City, California for a summer internship through Temple University at the Oakwoods apartments prior to the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike and at the beginning of the Great Recession.
From there, Duffield worked various jobs before becoming a professional screenwriter. His first job in Los Angeles was at the now defunct Storyopolis, a children's book store/art gallery, in Studio City, where he worked with writer Blake Harris. He has also worked as an assistant and script reader within the film industry for several years. Prior to selling his first spec screenplay, Duffield was temping at the Lucky Brand Jeans factory in nearby Vernon, California.
Duffield first spec sale was for Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch to Skydance Media. The story is partially based on his personal experience with his friends' weddings and a slew of failed relationships. His friend from college had sent a copy to a contact at Circle of Confusion management company, who later offered to be Duffield's manager. Several days later, they got a meeting with Skydance, who bought the script. Eli Craig was last attached to direct and rewrite the film in May 2015. Black List Live!, a live monthly stage reading of scripts featured on the Black List, did a performance of Your Bridesmaid is a Bitch in 2014.
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||No||Yes||No|
|Jane Got a Gun||No||Yes||No|
|The Babysitter: Killer Queen||No||No||Executive|
|Love and Monsters||No||Yes||No|
- Iannazzo, Lonnie II (November 5, 2014). "Birthday boy! @BrianDuffield". @movieguy34. Retrieved February 24, 2020.
- "How I Broke In: Brian Duffield". Final Draft. June 1, 2015. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- Lyttelton, Oliver (March 20, 2013). "On The Rise: 10 Screenwriters To Watch In 2013". IndieWire. Retrieved February 23, 2020.
- Myers, Scott (October 27, 2016). "Interview [Part 1]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- "Screenwriter Interview - Brian Duffield". ScriptShadow. February 9, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- "The Inferior Bio I Went With". Your Spontaneous Screenwriter. Retrieved January 5, 2020.
- Amanda (February 27, 2014). "The Aspiring TV Writer & Screenwriter Blog: LA FIRSTS: Brian Duffield". The Aspiring TV Writer & Screenwriter Blog. Retrieved January 5, 2020.
- "10 Questions with INSURGENT & JANE GOT A GUN Screenwriter Brian Duffield". Screenwriter's Utopia. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Myers, Scott (October 27, 2016). "Interview [Part 3]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Myers, Scott (October 27, 2016). "Interview [Part 6]: Brian Duffield". Medium. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (May 11, 2012). "'Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil' Helmer Eli Craig Takes On 'Your Bridesmaid's A Bitch'". Deadline. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- Gluck, Marissa (November 13, 2014). "In L.A., Unproduced Film Scripts Find New Life Onstage". T Magazine. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- "Paramount Developing Post-Apocalyptic Road Movie with Shawn Levy (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Pedersen, Erik (October 23, 2019). "'Monster Problems': Paramount Moves Dylan O'Brien Pic To Pre-Summer Slot". Deadline. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- Trumbore, Dave (May 7, 2013). "Summit Sets Brian Duffield to Pen DIVERGENT Sequel, INSURGENT". Collider. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- The Babysitter Review - IGN, retrieved December 29, 2019