|Born||29 November 1933|
|Died||28 July 2014(aged 80)|
Brian Leonard Eyre CBE, FRS, FREng (29 November 1933 – 28 July 2014) was a British material scientist, Chief Executive of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) and Professor at the University of Liverpool. He was also a visiting scholar at the University of Oxford and University College London.
Career and research
Eyre was appointed Professor of Materials Science at the University of Liverpool from 1979 to 1984. His research investigated nuclear technology, including electron microscopy studies of radiation damage in metals and alloys. He played an important role in the privatisation of UKAEA to create AEA Technology.
Awards and honours
Eyre was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2001 and a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1992. He was elected foreign associate member of the National Academy of Engineering of the United States in 2009 for his understanding of neutron irradiation-induced damage in materials and for developing technologies and policies for nuclear power in the United Kingdom.
He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 1993 New Year Honours.
- Pooley, Derek; Smith, George; Windsor, Colin (2016). "Brian Eyre CBE FREng. 29 November 1933 — 28 July 2014". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. London: Royal Society. 62: 147–166. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2016.0016. S2CID 79308446.
- Anon (2014). "Professor Brian Eyre CBE, FRS, FREng". ox.ac.uk. Oxford: University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 22 December 2014.
- Eyre, B L (1973). "Transmission electron microscope studies of point defect clusters in fcc and bcc metals". Journal of Physics F: Metal Physics. 3 (2): 422–470. doi:10.1088/0305-4608/3/2/009.
- Mazey, D.J.; Eyre, B.L.; Evans, J.H.; Erents, S.K.; McCracken, G.M. (1977). "A transmission electron microscopy study of molybdenum irradiated with helium ions". Journal of Nuclear Materials. 64 (1–2): 145–156. doi:10.1016/0022-3115(77)90018-6.
- Jenkins, M. L.; English, C. A.; Eyre, B. L. (1978). "Heavy-ion irradiation of α-iron". Philosophical Magazine A. 38 (1): 97–114. doi:10.1080/01418617808239220.
- Anon (2009). "National Academy of Engineering elects 65 members and 9 foreign associates". eurekalert.org. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014.
- "No. 53153". The London Gazette (Supplement). 20 December 1992. p. 8.