McLean playing for Motherwell
|Full name||Brian Stuart McLean|
|Date of birth||28 February 1985|
|Place of birth||Rutherglen, Scotland|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back / Right back|
|Current club||Ross County|
|2005–2006||→ Motherwell (loan)||30||(3)|
|2011–2012||Preston North End||16||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
McLean is naturally a centre back, but he can also play at right back or left back. He started his career as a youth player with Rangers. However, a lack of first team opportunities prompted him to join Motherwell on loan during the 2005–06 season. During his loan spell, he won the Scottish Premier League Young Player of the Month award for March 2006. Motherwell signed him on a permanent basis after he impressed during his loan spell at Fir Park.
On 18 July 2008 he suffered significant damage to his knee in a tackle by Argentinian striker Diego Ruiz during an ill-tempered preseason 'friendly' against CFR Cluj. He resumed a first team place on 28 March 2009, in a 2–1 win over Inverness CT.
On 1 July 2009 he signed a two-year contract with Scottish Premier League side Falkirk. He became Eddie May's first signing, but Falkirk were relegated to the First Division in 2010. McLean left Falkirk at the end of the 2010–11 season.
McLean was signed by Football League One club Preston North End on a two-year contract, after a trial period, on 2 August 2011. Mclean scored his first goal for Preston North End against Notts County from a Paul Parry corner, heading in from about six yards out.
He was transfer listed by the club in May 2012.
He signed a two-year deal with Dundee United on 14 June 2012.
- As of 17 December 2013
Despite being born in Scotland, McLean was eligible to play for Northern Ireland through his family. However he had previously appeared for Scotland U17's in a UEFA competition in 2002, and was required to state his change of allegiance prior to his 21st birthday. Unfortunately, due to an administration error McLean was not registered before this deadline and is now ineligible to represent Northern Ireland, effectively ending his international career. During his short international career McLean did not appear in any competitive games, although he was due to play in the European Under-21 Championship qualifying game against Liechtenstein before being ruled ineligible.
- Scottish Football League (October 2004). The Bell's Scottish Football Review 2004/05. CRE8. ISBN 0-9548556-0-4.
- "Preston sign ex-Falkirk defender Brian McLean". BBC Sport (BBC). 2 August 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Motherwell snap up two defenders". BBC Sport. 31 August 2005. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Motherwell pair scoop monthly awards". spfl.co.uk. 6 April 2006. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Motherwell agree deal for McLean". BBC Sport. 21 April 2006. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Mark McGhee blasts friendly opposition after Brian McLean left with serious knee injury following tackle" Daily Record (21 July 2008)
- Defender McLean signs for Falkirk, BBC Sport, 1 July 2009.
- "Graham Westley wields the axe at Preston North End". BBC Sport. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "McLean makes Terrors move". Sky Sports. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Ross County sign up Brian McLean and Graham Carey". BBC Sport. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Blunder ends NI career for McLean, BBC Sport, 13 April 2006.
- , Irish Football Association 13 April 2006