Brian James McMullan
|Mayor of St. Catharines|
|Preceded by||Tim Rigby|
|Succeeded by||Walter Sendzik|
|Residence||St. Catharines, Ontario|
Brian James McMullan was the mayor of St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada from 2006 to 2014. He was elected to the position in the 2006 St. Catharines municipal election. He was previously a St. Catharines city councillor and a Niagara regional councillor.
Early life and career
McMullan was born in Hamilton and raised in the Niagara region. He has a degree from Brock University, and is the vice-president of Hanna Paper Recycling. He is a former chairman of the Recycling Council of Ontario, and worked to establish Ontario's blue box recycling program.
McMullan served on St. Catharines City Council from 1988 to 1997, representing the Grantham ward. He was elected to the Niagara Regional Council in 2000. During that time, McMullan co-chaired the region's Smart Growth Smarter Niagara Steering Committee.
His bid for re-election in 2003 failed, but he was elected mayor of St. Catharines by a significant margin in 2006.
During the 2006 campaign, McMullan pledged to eliminate automatic property tax raises based on increased property assessments and to implement a "zero-based budget" with mandatory reviews for all city expenditures. He also opposed the existing plans for tower development at Port Dalhousie.
On April 1, 2014, McMullan announced that he would not be seeking re-election in the October 27 municipal election.
- Marlene Bergsma, "Brian McMullan - Prosperity council on his agenda", St. Catharines Standard, accessed 14 November 2006.
- Brian McMullan, "Speaking Notes: Open and Accountable City Hall" Archived March 4, 2007, at the Wayback Machine., 5 October 2006, accessed 14 November 2006.
- Mike Kwiatkowski, "McMullan looking to the future of St. Catharines", 31 October 2006, accessed 14 November 2006.
- Marleen Bergsma, "Mayor to run again",St Catharines Standard, 30 November 2009, A1 http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2199068
- Marleen Bergsma, "Brian McMullan takes St. Catharines mayor's seat with decisive victory",St Catharines Standard, 25 October 2010, http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2010/10/25/brian-mcmullan-takes-st-catharines-mayors-seat-with-decisive-victory Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- Marlene Bergsma, "Mayor Brian McMullan not running again", St Catharines Standard, 01 April 2014, http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/04/01/mayor-brian-mcmullan-not-running-again
|This article about a mayor in Ontario is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|