Brian Norton (engineer)
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Nottingham
|Institutions||Dublin Institute of Technology
Brian Norton (born 1955) is a college president and solar energy technologist. President of Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT), he has been an advocate for diversity of higher education in Ireland. He has also been associated with the relocation of DIT from a multiplicity of scattered buildings to a single city centre campus in the Grangegorman neighbourhood of Dublin.
In 1989 Norton was appointed by Sir Derek Birley as the first Professor in the field of the Built Environment at the University of Ulster, prior to which he taught at Cranfield University. He is a member of the Royal Irish Academy and Fellow of the Irish Academy of Engineering. Norton studied Physics at the University of Nottingham and Engineering at Cranfield University and holds Doctorates from both universities.
- Harnessing Solar Heat, Springer, 2013
- Solar Energy Thermal Technology. Springer, 1992
- "Industrial and Agricultural Applications of Solar Energy". In Comprehensive Renewable Energy, Elsevier, 2012 (winner of a 2012 PROSE Awards of the Association of American Publishers for best multi-volume reference work)
- "Solar Energy Collectors and their applications". In Solar Energy Science and Engineering Applications. CRC Press, 2013
- "The Shadows Cast by Inadequate Energy Governance: Why more Sun does not necessarily mean more photovoltaic electricity". Norton contributed with Sarah McCormack of Trinity College Dublin, to Renewable Energy Governance: Challenges and Insecurities. Springer, 2013
- "Solar Power and the Enabling Role of Nanotechnology", Norton contributed with Ali Shakouri and Helen McNally, both of Purdue University to Understanding the Global Energy Crisis, Purdue University Press, 2014.
- "Low temperature solar thermal applications". Norton contributed with Hans Martin Henning of Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems ISE and Daniel Mugnier of Tecsol, Vice-Chair of the IEA Solar Heating and Cooling Programme to Solar Energy. World Scientific Press, 2016
- "New President is appointed for DIT". Irish Independent. 27 April 2003.
- "Prof Brian Norton reappointed as DIT President". The Irish Times. 17 April 2013.
- "ITs or Tech Unis". The Irish Times. 16 February 2014.
- "The transforming landscape of higher education in Ireland". Public Affairs Ireland. 4 April 2014.
- "Finishing touches as DIT campus opens in the heart of city". The Irish Times. 4 September 2014.
- "DIT opens new campus in Grangegorman to first students". Irish Independent. 10 September 2014.
- "DIT President elected to membership of the Royal Irish Academy". Astronomy Today. 1 June 2016.
- "EuroCase website".[permanent dead link]
- Norton, Brian (2013). Harnessing Solar Heat. Springer. ISBN 978-94-007-7275-5.
- Norton, Brian (1992). Solar Energy Thermal Technology. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4471-1744-5.
- Sayigh A (Editor) (2012). Comprehensive Renewable Energy. Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-08-087872-0.
- Enteria N and Akbarzadeh A (Eds) (2013). Solar Energy Sciences and Engineering Applications. CRC Press. ISBN 1138000132.
- E Michalena (Editor) (2013). Renewable Energy Governance. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4471-5595-9.
- E. Coyle and R.A. Simmons, eds (2014). Understanding the Global Energy Crisis. Purdue University Press. ISBN 978 1 55753 661 7.
- G Crawley, ed (2016). Solar Energy. World Scientific Press. ISBN 978-981-4689-49-6.