Brian O'Connor (bassist)
Brian Scott O'Connor (who has his nickname, "Big Hands" or "Marc McFettridge", because of his very large hands) is best known for his role as bass guitarist for rock band Eagles of Death Metal. He appears on Death By Sexy, Heart On, and is included in the video for "I Want You So Hard (Boy's Bad News)".
Brian is a Pacific Northwest original, growing up in the rural community of Carrolls between Kalama and Kelso-Longview, Washington. As a young boy, he played in a band named, "Shanna and the Country Bugs" with his father and his siblings. He worked many years in the construction industry before coming into his success with EODM.
In June 2010, it was announced in the media that Brian had been diagnosed with an unspecified cancer, for which he will be undergoing chemotherapy.
A statement from O'Connor in regard to his diagnoses: "In regards to my current health situation, with the remarkable support and love from my amazing friends and family, I am receiving the best medical and moral attention one could ask for. I cannot thank everyone enough for their continued support and involvement. I am excited for my full recovery and look forward to getting back to what I love most, melting face with my bass. I'm feeling great, after all, I am half unicorn. Keep ya posted."
During this time, Dean Fertita from Queens of the Stone Age and The Dead Weather filled in on bass. Long time friend and collaborator Josh Homme, along with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones of Them Crooked Vultures announced a concert at the Brixton Academy in London to raise money for O'Connor's treatment.
With Eagles of Death Metal he uses a worn Fender Precision Bass into Orange and Ampeg SVT bass amplifiers through Orange bass cabinets. He also uses the ProCo Rat distortion pedal as well as other pedals.
- With Unkle
- Nights Temper EP (2007)
- War Stories (2007)
- With Masters of Reality
- Pine Cross Dover (2009)
- Other appearances
- The Desert Sessions - Volumes 9 & 10 (2003)
- Axis of Justice - Concert Series - Volume 1 (2004)
- Peaches - Impeach My Bush (2006)
- Chris Goss - "Rancho De La Luna Sessions" (2008)
- Mojave Lords - "Unfuckwithable" (2014)
- Sweethead - Descent To The Surface (2016)
- "Eagles of Death Metal". Eagles of Death Metal. 2006-04-28. Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Eagles of Death Metal's Brian O'Connor Diagnosed With Cancer". AllAccess.com. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2011-07-18.