Brian R. Gaines
His previous positions include Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, Technical Director and Deputy Chairman of the Monotype Corporation, and Chairman of the Department of Electrical Engineering Science at the University of Essex. He was formerly Killam Memorial Research Professor, Dean of Graduate Studies, Associate Vice President (Research) and Director of the Knowledge Science Institute at the University of Calgary.
He has been editor of the International Journal of Human-Computer Studies and Knowledge Acquisition, and of the Computers and People and Knowledge-Based Systems book series.
Gaines is one of the pioneers in what is known as stochastic computing, a term he used first to characterize the highly attractive field when working at the Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd. (STL) in search of computational processors capable of learning during the 1960s.
He has authored over 450 papers and authored or edited at least 11 books on a wide variety of aspects of computer and human systems. His books include:
- 1977. Fuzzy automata and decision processes. Edited with Madan M. Gupta and George N. Saridis.
- 1981. Fuzzy reasoning and its applications. Edited with E.H. Mamdani.
- 1984. Fuzzy sets and decision analysis. Edited with H.J. Zimmermann and L.A. Zadeh.
- 1984. Art of computer conversation: a new medium for communication. With Mildred L.G. Shaw.
- 1988. Knowledge acquisition for knowledge-based systems. Edited with J.H. Boose.
- 1988. Knowledge acquisition tools for expert systems. Edited with J.H. Boose.
- 1988. European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop: Proceedings of the European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop (EKAW'88) June 19-23, 1988. Edited with John Boose and Marc Linster.
- 1990. Machine learning and uncertain reasoning. Edited with J. H. Boose.
- 1992. Proceedings of the European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop (EKAW'91) May 20-24, 1991. Edited with Mark Linster.
- 1997. Artificial intelligence in knowledge management: papers from the 1997 AAAI Symposium, March 24–26, Stanford, California. Edited with Mark A. Musen and Ramasamy Uthurusamy.
- 2013. Cognitive ergonomics: understanding, learning, and designing human–computer interaction. Edited with Pierre Falzon and Andrew F. Monk.
- "Brian R. Gaines receives 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award". constructivistpsych.org. Constructivist Psychology Network. 21 July 2014. Archived from the original on 14 September 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Herlea Damian, Daniela E.; Eberlein, Armin; Shaw, Mildred L. G.; Gaines, Brian R. (May 2000). "Using different communication media in requirements negotiation". IEEE Software. 17 (3): 28–36. doi:10.1109/52.896247.
- Gaines, Brian R. (1969). "Stochastic computing systems". In Tou, Julius T. Advances in information systems science. 2. New York: Plenum Press. pp. 37–172. doi:10.1007/978-1-4899-5841-9_2. ISBN 9781489958433.
- "dblp: Brian R. Gaines". dblp.uni-trier.de. DBLP. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Brian R. Gaines|
- "Brian Gaines - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Knowledge Management". ucalgary.ca. Retrieved 21 June 2016. (links to some of his publications in the field of knowledge management)
- "System Theory". ucalgary.ca. Retrieved 21 June 2016. (links to some of his publications in the field of systems theory)
- "WebMap: Concept Mapping on the Web". w3.org. Retrieved 21 June 2016. (paper by Gaines and Shaw for the Fourth International World Wide Web Conference, 1995)