Brian Regan (actor)
2 October 1957 |
Brian Regan (born 2 October 1957 in Liverpool) is a British actor known for playing Terry Sullivan, one of the lead roles in the Channel 4 soap Brookside, during the 1980s and 1990s. He has also had small parts in other television series. On 12 April 2011, Regan was charged with the murder of a doorman in Liverpool and remanded in custody to await trial. He was cleared of the murder early the following year but was still imprisoned for nearly five years on a lesser charge.
Early life and career
Regan grew up in the Dovecot area of Liverpool and attended the Yew Tree Comprehensive School in that area of the city. He trained as an actor at the Liverpool Playhouse and, in addition to his role in Brookside, has also appeared on television in The Bill, Paparazzo and Murphy's Mob. He also appeared in the early years of Sky TV's Soccer AM as 'The Cat'.
He joined the cast of Brookside in 1982, first appearing in episode six. The character of Terry Sullivan was featured in some of the soap's most dramatic storylines, and he was a regular mainstay of the soap until he finally left the series in February 1997. He had previously left the show for a short time to move to London, where he pursued his acting career, but later rejoined. According to an article in the Daily Mail in April 2011, Sullivan and his fellow Brookside character Barry Grant (played by Paul Usher) were the inspiration for comedian Harry Enfield's Scousers.
During the weekend of the 27 February 2011 he was questioned by police over the fatal shooting of a city bouncer. A Iranian Bahman Faraji in Aigburth, Liverpool and he was charged with murder on 12 April 2011.
On 18 April he appeared by video-link at Liverpool Crown Court. Along with two other men, he was due to next appear on 8 July.
He was also charged in late March 2011 with two counts of possession with intent to supply a controlled drug and two counts of supplying a controlled drug, believed by local news press to relate to cocaine.
On 25 January 2012, Regan was sentenced to 4 years and 10 months imprisonment for his role in the murder of Bahman Faraji in February 2011. He admitted driving the gunman to and from the scene of the murder but denied that he knew that they were carrying a sawn off shotgun or that they intended to kill Faraji. Part of his sentence was for perverting the course of justice as he initially lied about his part in the murder by providing a false alibi.
- Hayward 1996, p. 210
- "Ex-Brookside star Brian Regan remanded over murder of bouncer shot at point blank range". Mail Online (Associated Newspapers Ltd). 14 April 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Former Brookside star Brian Regan quizzed by police in connection with Aigburth murder". Liverpool Echo. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Former Brookside star Brian Regan charged with murder". BBC News. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Ceefax page 122
- "Former Brookside star Brian Regan charged with drug offences". Liverpool Echo. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "Brookside's Brian Regan jailed for Bahman Faraji murder lies". BBC. Retrieved 22 March 2012.