Brian Roche (business executive)
Sir Brian Roche
Roche in 2017
Brian Joseph Roche
Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
Sir Brian Joseph Rocheis a New Zealand business executive.
Roche was born in the Hawke's Bay. He attended St John's College in Hastings. He obtained a Bachelor of Commerce and Administration from Victoria University of Wellington. He started his working career with Coopers and Lybrand in 1979 as an accountant. He stayed with the company, which later became PricewaterhouseCoopers, for 20 years and became a senior partner. In the 1990s, he was chief Crown negotiator for Treaty of Waitangi claims and settlements; he had a major influence on the 1997 Ngāi Tahu settlement.
In 2004, Roche became the inaugural chairman of the Auckland Regional Transport Authority. In 2008, he was appointed the inaugural chairman of the NZ Transport Agency. In the same year, he was appointed deputy commissioner of the Hawke's Bay District Health Board after the elected board was sacked by the then-Minister of Health, David Cunliffe. From January 2010 until April 2017, Roche was chief executive of New Zealand Post.
Since 2013, Roche was chairman of the Hurricanes rugby union franchise. He led the team that gained the 2011 Rugby World Cup hosting rights for New Zealand and later chaired group that organised the championship, taking over from Jock Hobbs. He has been chairman of Antarctica New Zealand, Tait Communications, and the Wellington Gateway Project. On 11 June 2019, Roche commenced his second term as chairman of the NZ Transport Agency. A condition of the appointment was Roche's resignation from the Wellington Gateway Project to avoid a conflict of interest.
In the 2017 New Year Honours, Roche was appointed a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to the State and business.
- Laing, Doug (1 January 2017). "New knight grew up in Hastings". Hawke's Bay Today. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Chair, Board". City Rail Link. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Edmunds, Susan. "Brian Roche to leave position as chief executive of NZ Post". Stuff. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "New Year Honours 2017 – Citations For Knights Companion Of The New Zealand Order Of Merit". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 15 December 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Twyford, Phil (12 June 2019). "Sir Brian Roche appointed to chair NZTA Board". The Beehive. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Cooke, Henry (12 June 2019). "NZTA ends period with no permanent leadership as Sir Brian Roche appointed board chair". Stuff. Retrieved 13 June 2019.