Tallet with the Toronto Blue Jays
September 21, 1977 |
Midwest City, Oklahoma
|September 16, 2002 for the Cleveland Indians|
|Last MLB appearance|
|August 30, 2011 for the Toronto Blue Jays|
|Earned run average||4.79|
Brian Curtis Tallet (born September 21, 1977) is an American former professional baseball pitcher. Tallet played the majority of his career for the Toronto Blue Jays, and also played for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cleveland Indians. He stands 6' 6" in height. He pitched for the LSU Tigers and won a national championship in 2000.
Tallet was drafted in the 1996, 1997, and 1999 drafts by the Marlins, Yankees, and Pirates, respectively, but did not sign with them. Tallet did sign when drafted in the 2nd round of the 2000 MLB draft by the Cleveland Indians. He made his major league debut on July 16, 2002, but missed the remainder of the 2004 season after having Tommy John surgery in August 2003.
In his first two major league starts he had 1 win in 12 innings pitched with a 1.50 ERA. He also struck out 5 and walked 4. After the 2002 MLB season his career was never the same as he posted a 0-2 record in 5 games, 3 starts allowing 20 earned runs with a 4.74 ERA in 19 innings pitched. In 2005 it went even worse as he complied a 7.71 ERA in two games.During his career in Cleveland he complied a 1-2 posting a 4.09 ERA, striking out 16 and walking 15 men. On January 16, 2006, he was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for Bubbie Buzachero.
Toronto Blue Jays
In Tallet's first season with Toronto, he posted a 3.81 ERA with 3 wins while pitching in 44 games, starting only one. In 2007 he had a 2-4 record with a 3.47 ERA in 48 games. In 2008, season Tallet had a 1-2 record and with a 2.88 ERA in 51 games. Since his trade to Toronto, Tallet has pitched 129 games for the Jays.
Tallet made his first start of the season and in over two years in 2006, his first season with the Toronto Blue Jays. Tallet went against the Oakland Athletics going 5.1 innings, one earned run, 1 walk and 1 strikeout, getting the no-decision. During the month of April, Tallet compiled a 1-1 with a 6.45 ERA after taking over for Jesse Litsch. After two close losses in which he was supported by only one run in each game, he defeated the Boston Red Sox who had caused a 9-game skid starting from May 19 to 27. He went 7 strong innings giving up 3 runs and striking out 6.
During the month of May he went 2-2 with a 4.26 ERA and in only one of those starts did he give up more than 3 runs.
In February 2009 the Jays avoided salary arbitration when they renewed Tallet's position on the team with a reported $1,015,000.00 one-year contract. On November 11, 2010 he refused an assignment to the minors and became a free agent.
St. Louis Cardinals
In early July 2011, Tallet strained an intercostal muscle from a heavy sneeze. After doctors examined the CT scan on the muscle strain, they saw past the rib cage and discovered that he also had cysts clinging to his kidneys. He was subsequently diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease.
Return to Toronto
Tallet made his first rehab appearance for the Class-A Dunedin Blue Jays on August 18. He pitched a clean inning on 11 pitches. Following a 12-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on August 28, Tallet was called up to the Blue Jays. Wil Ledezma was designated for assignment to make room for Tallet on the 40-man roster. Tallet made his return to the Blue Jays on August 30 coming in for the 10th inning in a save situation. He blew the save and took the loss, giving up 2 runs on 2 walks and 2 singles while recording only 1 out. The following day, Tallet was designated for assignment to free space for the return of Carlos Villanueva, who had been on the 15-day disabled list since August 4.
Pittsburgh & San Diego
On February 3, 2012, Tallet signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates and was traded on April 7, 2012, to the San Diego Padres. Tallet began the year with Triple-A Tucson. The Padres released Tallet on May 17, 2012.
- Brian Tallet Stats, Bio MLB.com
- Zwolinski, Mark (June 2, 2009). "A surprising season for Jays and Tallet". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- "Cleveland Indians Transactions - 2006". ESPN. December 15, 2006. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- "Blue Jays settle 1-year contract with Brian Tallet". Toronto Star. February 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- "Jays allow A's to claim Encarnacion, Tallet a free agent". TSN.ca. November 12, 2010. Retrieved November 29, 2010.
- Cards swap with Dodgers for Theriot, sign Tallet
- "Cardinals deal Rasmus to Jays in three-team mega-deal". Sporting News. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Frenette, Brad. "Blue Jays acquire top prospect Colby Rasmus in three-team deal". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Tallet returns from rib-cage strain
- Ryan Adams hits walk-off single as O's rally in 10th to beat Jays
- Jays activate Villanueva, designate Tallet for assignment
- Singer, Tom (February 3, 2012). "Pirates sign lefty Tallet to Minor League deal".
- Minor Moves: Brian Tallet
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)