|Other names||Brian J Tamberlin|
|Alma mater||Marist Brothers Parramatta |
University of Sydney
Harvard Law School
|Occupation||Judge; Deputy President, Administrative Appeals Tribunal|
Brian Tamberlin, QC is a retired Australian jurist, barrister, law commentator and justice in the Australia's federal court. Tamberlin was educated at Marist Brothers Parramatta (Class of 1955) where he came 10th in the State in Modern History in the Leaving Certificate that year. He subsequently received both his Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney. He later received his LLM in law from Harvard Law School. Tamberlin was called to the New South Wales bar in 1967 specializing in town planning law, commercial law and administrative law and equity, and became a Queen's Counsel in 1981. Tamberlin was appointed a federal court justice in 1994. Tamberlin engaged in lecturing initiatives in legal areas such as federal constitutional law, administrative law and intellectual property in several countries such as the United States, Vietnam and Thailand. He traveled to Indonesia in AusAID programs operated by the Law Faculty for Indonesian judges, with professor Philip Lewis Griffiths. Tamberlin has also served as a justice in the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory. Following Tamberlin's retirement from the federal court of Australia in March 2009, he became the Deputy President of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, an independent body which reviews the decisions of the Australian Government. On 27 February 2009, A ceremony marking the retirement of Justice Tamberlin from the federal court was held. Recently, Tamberlin headed a royal commission-style inquiry that was investigating the former Labor government's $5.3 billion sale of NSW electricity assets.
- "Adjunct professors". University of Technology Sydney. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Perry, Michael. "Michael Kirby, Brian Tamberlin miss UN posts". 12 March 2009. The Australian. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Frank Stuart Dethridge Memorial Address 2001 Globalisation - Pressures and Challenges" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Lyon, Zoe. "New Deputy President of Administrative Appeals Tribunal announced". 17 February 2009. Lawyers Weekly. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "NEWS RELEASE" (PDF). 13 February 2009. Attorney General of Australia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 June 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Hon Justice Tamberlin retirement ceremony" (PDF). 27 March 2009. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Nicholls, Sean (2 May 2011). "Judge to head inquiry into electricity sale". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2011.