19.2.07 English (Windows x64) / April 10, 2019
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, OS X|
|Size||350 MB (Windows)|
133-192 MB (Linux)
209 MB (OS X)
BricsCAD is a software application for computer-aided design (CAD), developed by Bricsys nv. The company was founded in 2002 by Erik de Keyser, a longtime CAD entrepreneur. In 2011 Bricsys acquired the intellectual property rights from Ledas for constraints-based parametric design tools, permitting the development of applications in the areas of direct modeling and assembly design. Bricsys is headquartered in Ghent, Belgium, has additional development centers in Nizhny Novgorod and Novosibirsk, Russia; Bucharest, Romania and Singapore. Bricsys is a founding member of the Open Design Alliance, and joined the BuildingSMART International consortium in December 2016.
In 2018, Bricsys nv was acquired in full by Hexagon AB of Sweden.
- BricsCAD Classic provides familiar 2D CAD drafting functionality, native DWG read/write, and incorporates a full LISP API for customization and automation of repetitive tasks.
- BricsCAD Pro contains all the functionality of BricsCAD Classic, and adds 3D Direct Modeling, 2D and 3D hardware libraries, high-definition rendering, a render materials library, mechanical assembly viewing and an AutoCAD ObjectARX-compatible development system that supports hundreds of third-party application programs.
- BricsCAD Platinum contains the features and functions of BricsCAD Pro, and includes 3D constraint system creation, surface entity creation and lofting, deformable modeling, automatic healing of imported solid geometry, automatic design intent recognition, and basic assembly creation & editing.
Three new editions of BricsCAD were released in late 2018. Prior to V19, the BricsCAD BIM product was delivered as a module named "BIM for BricsCAD", that installed over a license of BricsCAD Platinum. BricsCAD Mechanical is a new product for V19. It includes upgraded functionality from the pre-V19 "Sheet Metal for BricsCAD" module, and additional assembly modeling, kinematic animation, bills-of-material and exploded view creation tools.
- BricsCAD BIM is a Building Information Modeling system that is based on the industry-standard .dwg file format. Its core database schema leverages the Industry Foundation Classes (IFC), and is certified by BuildingSMART International as compliant with openBIM 'CV2.0-Arch IFC Export and Import'. BricsCAD BIM supports design capture / mass modeling based on ACIS solids. These conceptual models can be classified automatically using BIMIFY, leveraging a set of machine learning algorithms developed by Bricsys. Another use of machine learning in BricsCAD BIM is PROPAGATE, a workflow that analyzes connections between solids. PROPAGATE then finds and presents similar situations in the model where the same connection can be applied. An example of the use of PROPAGATE is the automated analysis and justification of composition ply intersections throughout an entire BIM, based on an adjustment of said plies at a single location in the model.
- BricsCAD Mechanical is a 3D mechanical design tool with assembly modeling functionality. It is based on a direct modeling approach that is history-free. The product creates sheet metal features using lofted surfaces. This approach was chosen as a way to eliminate co-edge degradation as model features are created, modified and deleted. New to BricsCAD Mechanical V19 is the ability to work on the folded and unfolded representations of a single sheet metal part, simultaneously.
- BricsCAD Ultimate combines all the BricsCAD editions - Classic, Pro, Platinum, BIM and Mechanical - into one package. It allows customers who wish to run BricsCAD BIM and BricsCAD Mechanical together on a single machine to do so, leveraging a single install and a single activation key. The free thirty-day trial of BricsCAD is delivered as BricsCAD Ultimate. Trial customers can use the RUNASLEVEL command to change the edition of BricsCAD during their trial period.
All BricsCAD editions use the Open Design Alliance Drawing API software development platform, giving BricsCAD read and write capability of the DWG file format, made popular by Autodesk's AutoCAD. BricsCAD V19 reads and writes 2018 .dwg files directly, from AutoCAD Release 12 through 2018. The software is capable of most contemporary AutoCAD release functions. BricsCAD is currently localized in 18 language versions.
Communicator for BricsCAD
Communicator for BricsCAD imports and exports 3D CAD data (geometry & Product Manufacturing Information [PMI]) for data exchange with major Mechanical CAD programs (e.g. CATIA, PTC Creo, Solid Edge, NX/UG, SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor) and several industry-standard neutral file formats. BricsCAD Communicator works with BricsCAD Pro for single part import/export, and BricsCAD Platinum / BricsCAD Mechanical for assembly import/export.
In January 2018 Bricsys released a free-of-charge conceptual modeling tool called BricsCAD Shape. Derived from the BricsCAD Platinum solid modelling core, BricsCAD Shape gives architects and designers a "digital clay" modelling environment for conceptual design of buildings and structures. The Shape workflow was designed to create CAD-accurate, non-ambiguous solid models, without requiring users to classify building elements.
The geometry domain of BricsCAD Shape is equivalent to that of BricsCAD BIM, and the native file format of both products is 2018 .dwg. 3D concept models created in BricsCAD Shape open in BricsCAD BIM for automatic classification of building elements and their spatial locations. BricsCAD Shape has a simplified user interface that reduces command options to a minimum for support of effective solids modeling. BricsCAD Shape also includes a library of parametric windows and doors, materials libraries and a set of 3D furniture and objects.
Bricsys also provides a cloud collaboration SaaS (software as a service) Common Data Environment (CDE) called Bricsys 24/7. Prior to 09 November 2017, Bricsys 24/7 was known as Chapoo.
APIs and customization
BricsCAD implements many AutoCAD Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). In general, BricsCAD provides a nearly identical subset of AutoCAD-equivalent function names. In the case of non-compiled AutoCAD applications (e.g. LISP, Diesel and DCL), these programs can be loaded and executed directly in BricsCAD. Specifically regarding LISP routines, BricsCAD supports AutoCAD Vl, Vlr, Vla and Vlax functions. Bricsys also supports developers who wish to use LISP encryption, but as expected, BricsCAD cannot read AutoCAD FAS (compiled LISP) files.
Most compiled application programs developed for AutoCAD's Advanced Runtime eXtension (ObjectARX) facility require only a recompilation with the BricsCAD Runtime eXtension (BRX) libraries. BRX is source code-compatible with AutoCAD's ARX 2018, with a few exceptions. Bricsys also supports the deprecated Autodesk Development System (ADS) through BricsCAD's (also deprecated) SDS interface.
Bricsys is focused on the development of the core CAD software platform and works with application development partners to bring to market solutions for the AEC (Architecture, Engineering and Construction), Civil, GIS and mechanical CAD markets.
Bricsys offers LGS 2D and 3D, two component technologies that enable 2D and 3D constraint management. Bricsys offers licensing of these modules to software developers that build products on Windows (32/64-bit), MacOS, and Linux, for integration into their own software products. Licensees for these modules include ASCON (CAD), Cimatron (CAD/CAM) and others.
Comparison of speed
According to independent tests, BricsCAD's OpenLISP-based run-time environment is faster than AutoLISP (in Autodesk, Inc's AutoCAD).
- Computer-aided design
- List of CAx companies
- Comparison of CAD software
- Comparison of CAD editors for CAE
- Erik de Keyser, CEO, Founder of Bricsys
- Can You Make Money Selling $500 CAD Software? The Bricsys Story, CAD Insider, October 3, 2012.
- Randall Newton, Bricsys aims to expand its low-cost CAD empire, GraphicSpeak - A Jon Peddie Research Publication, October 11, 2012.
- Randall Newton, Bricsys delivers viable alternative universe for DWG-based CAD development, GraphicSpeak - A Jon Peddie Research Publication, October 26, 2011.
- Get brisk with Bricscad, Geospatial Today
- Menhirs NV Acquires Intellectual Property Rights from LEDAS
- Ralph Grabowski, Exclusive Q&A: What it means, now that Bricsys bought IP from Ledas, WorldCAD Access, October 5, 2011.
- Open Design Alliance - ODA Members
- "Bricsys join buildingSMART as international members". buildingSMART. 2016-12-19. Retrieved 2018-12-17.
- "News - Bricsys joins buildingSMART to give the .dwg community access to the huge potential of the BIM approach". bricsys.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "You're going to love BricsCAD Shape! - Bricsys CAD Blog". Bricsys CAD Blog. 2018-01-22. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "New 3D-Modeling Software Increases Efficiency by Focusing on Fast, Intuitive "Shaping" Inputs". ArchDaily. 2018-03-27. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Bricsys 24/7: next generation AEC collaboration - Bricsys CAD Blog". Bricsys CAD Blog. 2017-11-09. Retrieved 2018-03-29.