Bride of the Century
|Bride of the Century|
Promotional poster for Bride of the Century
|Also known as||Hundred Year Bride|
|Written by||Baek Young-sook|
|Directed by||Yoon Sang-ho|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Choi Byung-hwa|
|Production company(s)||Aura Media|
|Original network||TV Chosun|
|Original release||February 22– April 12, 2014|
|Followed by||Into the Flames|
Bride of the Century (Hangul: 백년의 신부; RR: Baeknyeonui Sinbu) is a 2014 South Korean television series starring Lee Hong-gi and Yang Jin-sung. It aired on cable channel TV Chosun from February 22 to April 12, 2014 for 16 episodes. The story of the fantasy/romance drama revolves around a family curse that causes the first wife of the first born son to die.
Taeyang Group is the largest conglomerate in South Korea. The Choi family who runs Taeyang has supposedly been under a curse for a hundred years that the first bride of the eldest son will always die. When the wealthy heiress Jang Yi-kyung (Yang Jin-sung) disappears right before her wedding to chaebol heir Choi Kang-joo (Lee Hong-gi), Na Doo-rim (Yang Jin-sung), a lookalike impostor, is brought in to take her place. Unlike the cold and calculating Yi-kyung, Doo-rim is sweet and sunny, and Kang-joo genuinely falls in love with her. As the wedding plans progress, Kang-joo and Yi-kyung's mothers both scheme and plot behind the scenes.
- A good-looking and educated second-generation chaebol heir. He has a prickly personality, and is self-indulgent and bad at relationships. But he is goodhearted underneath it all, and is harboring pain from his childhood.
- Na Doo-rim is a sweet, homely girl who comes from a southern island village. Jang Yi-kyung is a chic, cold and calculating woman who wants to marry into the Choi family. Doo-rim and Yi-kyung are doppelgängers.
- Sung Hyuk as Jang Yi-hyun
- Yi-kyung's half-older brother. He is the operations manager of Ohsung Construction.
- Jang Ah-young as Lee Roo-mi
- An upper-class young woman with looks and brains who went to a prestigious university. Roo-mi becomes Doo-rim's rival for Kang-joo's heart.
- Nam Jeong-hee as Park Soon-bok
- Doo-rim's grandmother.
- Park Jin-joo as Oh Jin-joo
- Doo-rim's childhood friend.
- Choi Il-hwa as Choi Il-do
- Kang-joo's father, and CEO of Taeyang Group.
- Kang-joo's mother. The unloved wife of a wealthy man who tries to destroy her son's relationship with a girl from a poor family.
- Jung Hae-in as Choi Kang-in
- Kang-joo's younger brother, and an idol singer.
- Yi-kyung's mother, and CEO of Ohsung Construction.
- Butler of the Choi family.
- Kwon Eun-ah as Ahn Dong-daek
- Butler Jang's wife.
After having dinner with the drama crew on December 16, 2013, an accident occurred on an icy street which lead to Lee Hong-gi suffering a dislocated shoulder and facial scratches. He was prescribed six weeks of rest and returned to the set on January 10, 2014.
It received a good response in Korea for a cable drama, with a peak viewership rating of 1.451%.
According to one of China's biggest internet portal sites QQ, Bride of the Century ranked number one on weekly and monthly charts in both March and April 2014, exceeding 100 million views. It was also ranked as the most searched phrase on China's microblogging service Weibo.
|Episode||Original airdate||AGB Nielsen ratings|
|1||February 22, 2014||0.474%|
|2||February 23, 2014||0.399%|
|3||March 1, 2014||0.764%|
|4||March 2, 2014||0.844%|
|5||March 8, 2014||0.762%|
|6||March 9, 2014||0.973%|
|7||March 14, 2014||0.611%|
|8||March 15, 2014||1.062%|
|9||March 21, 2014||1.311%|
|10||March 22, 2014||1.451%|
|11||March 28, 2014||1.123%|
|12||March 29, 2014||1.349%|
|13||April 4, 2014||0.952%|
|14||April 5, 2014||1.044%|
|15||April 11, 2014||0.942%|
|16||April 12, 2014||1.052%|
Note: Lower ratings are due to TV Chosun being a pay cable channel.
|Bride of the Century:
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|Released||April 11, 2014|
|Genre||Pop, K-pop, soundtrack|
|Label||CJ E&M, FNC Entertainment|
|1.||"들어와" (Come Inside)||Lee Jae-jin||3:36|
|2.||"아직 하지 못한 말" (Words I Couldn't Say Yet)||Choa||4:33|
|3.||"아직 하지 못한 말" (Words I Couldn't Say Yet)||Lee Hong-gi||4:31|
|5.||"아나요" (Do You Know)||Jeon Geun-hwa||4:01|
|6.||"들어와 (Inst.)" (Come Inside (Inst.))||Lee Jae-jin||3:36|
|7.||"아직 하지 못한 말 (Inst.)" (Words I Couldn't Say Yet (Inst.))||Lee Hong-gi||4:31|
|8.||"백년의 신부" (Bride of the Century)||Various Artists||1:46|
|9.||"비밀의 열쇠" (Key of Secret)||Various Artists||2:12|
|10.||"Rise In the World"||Various Artists||2:46|
|11.||"Walk Around"||Various Artists||1:38|
|12.||"백년의 저주" (Hundred Years Curse)||Various Artists||3:07|
|13.||"두근 두근 나두림" (Pit-a-pat Na Doo-rim)||Various Artists||2:12|
|14.||"Grey Shadow"||Various Artists||1:11|
|15.||"Hundred Steps"||Various Artists||2:06|
|16.||"Mournful Eyes"||Various Artists||2:15|
|17.||"Savior of Hell"||Various Artists||2:26|
|Philippines||TV5||Aired beginning July 7, 2014.|
|Taiwan||SCC||June 18, 2014 - July 25, 2014 (Monday to Friday from 21:00 - 22:00)|
|CTV||September 2, 2014 - October 3, 2014 (Every Monday to Friday 22:00 - 23:00)|
|Japan||TBS||Aired beginning August 1, 2014.|
|Myanmar||Channel 7||August 28, 2014 - September 18, 2014 (Monday to Friday, 17:15 - 18:00)|
|Hong Kong||TVB Japanese Drama (日劇台)||January 31, 2015 - April 4, 2015 (Saturday 16:00 - 18:30 and 20:30 - 23:00
January 31, February 21 and March 14 to 28, 16:00 - 18:00 and 20:30 - 22:30 April 4 13:30 - 15:25, 17:30 - 19:30 and 21:35 - 23:30)
|Thailand||PPTV HD||Aired beginning July 13, 2015 - August 19, 2015.|
|Channel 9 MCOT HD||January 1, 2018 - January 26, 2018 (Every Monday to Friday from 23.00 to 00.00.)|
|Singapore||HUB||November 17, 2015 - December 14, 2015 (Monday to Friday from 17:45 - 19:00)|
|Malaysia||8TV||March 3, 2016 - March 28, 2016 (Monday to Friday 20:30 - 21:30)|
- Kim, Dong-joo (4 December 2013). "Lee Hong Gi & Yang Jin Sung to cast in drama 100 Years Bride". StarN News. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Han, Ji-hee (20 February 2014). "Interview: Bride of the Century Lee Hong-Ki – Yang Jin-Sung". Get It K. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- MacDonald, Joan (25 February 2014). "Bride of the Century Is Barely A Ghost Story". KDramaStars. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- Lee, Na-rae (19 February 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Gi Chooses Yang Jin Seong Over Park Shin Hye as Ideal Type". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Lee, Na-rae (19 February 2014). "Yang Jin Seong Was Scared to Act Opposite FT Island's Lee Hong Gi". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Kim Seo-ra Says Older Actresses Have More to Offer". The Chosun Ilbo. 17 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- An, So-hyoun (10 December 2013). "FT Island's Lee Hong Ki Begins Filming Hundred Year Bride". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Lee, Sun-min (17 December 2013). "Lee Hong-ki injured on ice". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Hwang, Hye-jin (10 January 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Ki Resumes Drama Filming After Injury". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- 이홍기 주연 ‘백년의 신부’, 중국 포털 동영상 조회수 1위 . TenAsia (in Korean). 25 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (25 March 2014). "Lee Hong Gi's Bride of the Century Carries on K-Drama Wave in China". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- "Bride of the Century in which Lee Hong Gi plays the main character role, wins 1st place on Chinese portal drama monthly chart". Osen. 9 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- ‘백년의 신부’ 중국판 공동제작 확정.."배우-대본, 조율 예정" . StarN News (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- AGB 닐슨 미디어리서치 홈페이지
- Sallan, Edwin P. (28 June 2014). "Revamped faves, news and sports exclusives comprise TV5's Q3 slate". Interaksyon. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- Park, Gyu-oh (2 September 2014). "Thanks to Lee Hong-gi, Bride of the Century gains popularity in Japan". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- "Bride of the Century ซีรี่ส์ดังของ ฮงกี FTISLAND ออนแอร์ในไทย ผ่าน PPTV HD". Mthai.com (in Thai). 25 August 2015.