Bridgeman Downs, Queensland
|Population||8,440 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
In November 1860 Henry St John Bridgeman bought land bounded by Albany Creek Road, Bridgeman Road and Beams Road.
Bridgeman Downs has long been associated with large acreage properties, but these are mostly restricted to the end of Beckett Road and down Bridgeman Road. The majority of Bridgeman Downs, surrounded by Aspley, Albany Creek, McDowall and Carseldine is residential estate, established in the late eighties and early nineties. The resident population is relatively young, however there is a retirement village and a cemetery. Bridgeman Downs includes three large-scale Christian churches; the Bridgeman Baptist Community Church, the Bridgeman Downs Christian Outreach Centre and the C3 Church, while a local community Anglican church exists next to the retirement village on Ridley Road. The area was mostly developed in the 1990s, which can be seen as the majority of houses in the residential estates are quite modern. Many families choose to live in Bridgeman Downs because of the larger homes and generous blocks (plenty big enough for a pool) and proximity to shops such as Pick n Pay Hypermarket at Aspley and various public and private schools.
Shopping villages such as Mcdowall village and Metro on Beckett service the southern part of the suburb. As the Aspley hypermarket services the top half. Major shopping centers that are close include Brookside Shopping Centre, Stafford City Shopping Centre, Aspley hypermarket and Westfield Chermside.
In the 2011 census, Bridgeman Downs recorded a population of 7,445 people, 51.2% female and 48.8% male.
The median age of the Bridgeman Downs population was 40 years of age, 3 years above the Australian median.
74.6% of people living in Bridgeman Downs were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were England 4.5%, New Zealand 2.4%, India 1.9%, South Africa 1.7%, Fiji 1.2%.
84.1% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were 2.3% Italian, 1.4% Cantonese, 1.2% Hindi, 0.9% Mandarin, 0.7% Afrikaans.
Buses come at regular intervals, and run throughout the day, Beckett Road being the main corridor.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bridgeman Downs (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "McDowall Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Bridgeman Downs (entry 42574)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- "Pinnaroo Cemetery and Crematorium". Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Teague, D. R. (David R.) (1980), The history of Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs and Eaton's Hill (2nd ed.), Colonial Press, ISBN 978-0-909139-07-0
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Bridgeman Downs
- Bridgeman Baptist Community Church - Bridgeman Downs
- "Bridgeman Downs". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008.
- "Bridgeman Downs". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007.
|This article about a place in Brisbane is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|