Bridgend (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Bridgend in Wales.
|Preserved county||Mid Glamorgan|
|Population||79,873 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||59,533 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Madeleine Moon (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Aberavon and Ogmore|
|Welsh Assembly||South Wales West|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
1983-1997: The Borough of Ogwr wards numbers 1, 2, 12 to 16, 18, and 20 to 23.[jargon]
1997-2010: The Borough of Ogwr wards of Brackla, Cefn Cribwr, Coity Higher, Cornelly, Coychurch Lower, Laleston, Morfa, Newcastle, Newcastle Higher, Oldcastle, Porthcawl East, Porthcawl West, Pyle, and St Bride’s Major.
2010–present: The Bridgend County Borough electoral divisions of Brackla; Bryntirion, Laleston and Merthyr Mawr; Cefn Glas; Coity; Cornelly; Coychurch Lower; Litchard; Llangewydd and Brynhyfryd; Morfa; Newcastle; Newton; Nottage; Oldcastle; Pendre; Pen-y-fai; Porthcawl East Central; Porthcawl West Central; Pyle; and Rest Bay.
- Summary of results
The 2015 result gave the seat the 19th-smallest majority of Labour's 232 seats by percentage of majority. The Bridgend constituency was created in 1983 from parts of the seats of Ogmore & Aberavon. It has to date elected candidates from the Labour Party save for electing the Conservative candidate Hubbard-Miles at the 1983 election 'landslide' election. An absolute Labour majority occurred in Bridgend in three successive elections, 1997, 2001 and 2005.
- Other opposition parties
Since 2001, inclusive, two non-Labour, non-Conservative candidates at each election have kept their deposits, winning greater than or equal to 5% of the vote. In 2011 UKIP and Plaid Cymru were the parties of the two such candidates.
Turnout has ranged between a high of 80.5%, in 1992, and a low of 59.2% in 2005.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Plaid Cymru||Rhys Watkins||1,783||4.1||-2.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Pratt||919||2.1||-2.9|
|Plaid Cymru||James Radcliffe ||2,784||7.1||+1.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Anita Davies ||1,648||4.2||−18.4|
|National Front||Adam Lloyd||66||0.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Wayne Morgan||8,658||22.6||+0.5|
|Plaid Cymru||Nicholas Thomas||2,269||5.9||−1.0|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Warren||7,949||21.0||+6.6|
|Plaid Cymru||Gareth Clubb||2,527||6.7||−0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Jean Barraclough||5,330||14.4||+2.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Monica Mahoney||2,653||7.2||+3.4|
|ProLife Alliance||Sara Jeremy||223||0.6||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Mckinlay||4,968||11.5||+1.2|
|Plaid Cymru||Dennis R. Watkins||1,649||3.8||+1.0|
|Conservative||David A. Unwin||16,817||35.7||−2.3|
|Liberal Democrat||David Mills||4,827||10.3||−1.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Alun Lloyd Jones||1,301||2.8||+0.5|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Russell Smart||5,590||12.1||−11.1|
|Plaid Cymru||Laura McAllister||1,065||2.3||−0.9|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+6.8|
|Labour||John A. Fellows||14,623||35.2||N/A|
|Social Democratic||Russell Smart||9,630||23.2||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru||Keith Bush||1,312||3.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Bridgend: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- "Bridgend 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 5)
- "Bridgend Parliamentary constituency". BBC News Online. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Bridgend and Ogmore results". Elections. Bridgend County Borough Council. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-03-21. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "List of selected candidates". Liberal Democrats. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Bridgend BBC Election - Bridgend
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Bridgend — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.