Bridgeport Paiute Indian Colony of California
The Bridgeport Indian Colony of California, formerly known as the "Bridgeport Paiute Indian Colony of California", is a federally recognized tribe of Northern Paiute Indians in Mono County, California.
The Bridgeport traditionally spoke the Northern Paiute language, which is part of the Western Numic branch of the Uto-Aztecan language family. Their dialect is sometimes called "Southern Nevada Northern Paiute." They used the Bridgeport writing system. There is currently a language project, held by University of California, Santa Cruz, dedicated to preserving and dedicating the Northern Paiute Language.
The Bridgeport Indian Colony was federally recognized on October 17, 1974.
The Tribe's headquarters is located in Bridgeport, California. The Tribal Administrator is Leon S. Draper. The tribe is governed by a five-person Tribal Council, who currently are as follows:
- John Glazier, Tribal Chairman
- Thomas Crawford-Vice-Chairman
- Dana Christensen, Member-at-Large (on reservation)
- Hank Glazier, Member-at-Large (off reservation)
- David Rambeau, Secretary-Treasurer.
- California Indians and Their Reservations. San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009 (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
The Bridgeport Indian Colony has a federal reservation in Mono County, close to the Nevada border, in the unincorporated community of Bridgeport, California. The reservation is 40 acres (160,000 m2) large. Approximately twenty-one (21) Tribal Members live on the Colony, currently one hundred and five Tribal members(105) enrolled, and a registered population of 120 today. The reservation community consists of descendants from Miwok, Mono, Paiute, Shoshone, and the Washoe tribes. The reservation site is near the southeast corner of Bridgeport Reservoir.
- "Northern Paiute Language Project". Archived from the original on 18 June 2010. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "Bridgeport Paiute Indian Colony." Archived July 13, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. IICOC Business Directory. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- Pritzker, 227
- Bridgeport Indian Colony - HOME PAGE (retrieved 15 March 2017)
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Bridgeport Indian Colony Website