Brigantine Public Schools
|Brigantine Public Schools|
|301 East Evans Boulevard
Brigantine, NJ 08203
|Grades||pre-K to 8|
|Business administrator||Jonathan Houdart|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||900 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||CD|
The Brigantine Public Schools is a community public school district that serves students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade from Brigantine, in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. The district is governed by the Brigantine Board of Education and operates as a Type 1 school district. The Board of Education consists of seven members who are appointed to three-year terms by the Mayor, the Council and the City Manager on a staggered basis.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Students in public school for ninth through twelfth grades, along with those from Longport, Margate City and Ventnor City, attend Atlantic City High School in neighboring Atlantic City, as part of sending/receiving relationships with the Atlantic City School District. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 2,010 students and 200.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.1:1.
Awards and recognition
- Brigantine Elementary School serves grades PreK-4 (412 students)
- Jennifer Luff, Principal
- Middle school
- Brigantine North Middle School serves grades 5-8 (275 students)
- Kathleen Fox, Principal
- Brian Pruitt, Superintendent
- Jonathan Houdart, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Brigantine Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- § 3-55 Board of Education, City of Brigantine Code. Accessed November 26, 2017. "A.There shall continue, within the City of Brigantine, an appointed Board of Education, or a Type I Board of Education, as is defined in Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes Annotated. The membership of the Board of Education shall continue in their respective offices until the expiration of their tenure or until their successor is appointed and qualified. B. All vacancies in the Board of Education shall be filled by the Mayor."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 27, 2014.
- Atlantic City Public School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 26, 2017. "The Atlantic City Public School District is a Pre-K to 12 school district operating Eleven (11) schools. Our Pre-K through 8th grade schools serve Atlantic City, while our high school serves the students of Atlantic City, Ventnor, Brigantine, Margate and Longport. "
- Rotondo, Christie. "Shore towns may pay less as Atlantic City schools slash budgets", The Press of Atlantic City, June 14, 2015. Accessed November 26, 2017. "Over the years, Brigantine, Ventnor, Margate and Longport have criticized the high cost of tuition to send their students to Atlantic City High School."
- School data for Atlantic City High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- McGreevey Celebrates Schools that are "Getting it Right": Schools of Excellence Winners Demonstrate Effectiveness of Governor's Education Priorities Archived 2012-10-18 at the Wayback Machine., New Jersey Department of Education press release dated November 21, 2003. Accessed December 15, 2009.
- School Data for the Brigantine Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Brigantine Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Brigantine Elementary School, Brigantine Public Schools. Accessed November 26, 2017.
- Brigantine North Middle School, Brigantine Public Schools. Accessed November 26, 2017.
- Contact Information, Brigantine Public Schools. Accessed November 26, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Atlantic County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.