Brigg railway station
Platform one, looking east towards Barnetby
|Local authority||North Lincolnshire|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Central Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|1 November 1848||Station opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Brigg from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Brigg railway station serves the town of Brigg in North Lincolnshire, England. It was built by the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway (GG&SJR) and opened on 1 November 1848. The GG&SJR subsequently became part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway main line between Grimsby and Manchester Piccadilly. It is managed by Northern, who also operate all passenger trains serving it. The station is unstaffed and the only buildings are the bus shelters standing on the platforms now for cover.
It is served by three passenger trains (in each direction) on Saturdays only between Sheffield and Cleethorpes. The usage (figures right) amounts to just under three passengers per train (total, setting up and down). There have been no timetabled weekday services at the station since October 1993, when they were withdrawn by British Rail.
The local council, however, is campaigning to increase this to an hourly service in each direction and also include Brigg as a stopping point on a new service between Grimsby and London via Lincoln.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|Great Central Railway||Barnetby
Line and station open
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 44. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Great Britain National Rail Timetable 2016 Edition, Table 30
- "Friends Of The Brigg & Lincoln Lines"Campaign for Better Transport; Retrieved 10 June 2016
- Fisher, Nigel (2007-06-04) Passengers Urged To Show Support[permanent dead link], Scunthorpe Telegraph p14. Retrieved on 2007-06-05.
- Train times and station information for Brigg railway station from National Rail
- Timetable for train services on Northern Rail's website