|State-owned limited company|
Qin Dong (President)Shen Wi Ping (President of Shanghai Mailing)
|Revenue||US$19 billion (2014)|
|Owner||Government of China|
Bright Food (officially Bright Food (Group) Co., Ltd.) is a multinational food and beverages manufacturing company headquartered in Shanghai, China. It is the second-largest China-based food manufacturing company measured by 2011 revenues. The company is wholly owned by the Chinese state.
Bright Food has four listed subsidiaries. Bright Dairy & Food Co., Ltd., Shanghai First Provisions Store Co., Ltd., Shanghai Maling Aquarius Co., Ltd. and Shanghai Haibo Co., Ltd.
In July 2010 Bright Food agreed to acquire a 51 per cent stake in the New Zealand-based dairy producer Synlait for US$58 million. However, as of September 2015, Bright Foods hold a 39.12% in Synlait.
In September 2010 Bright Food entered into exclusive discussions for the acquisition of the British snack food manufacturer United Biscuits, but the talks did not result in an acquisition being made.
Silver Fern Farms
On September the 15th, 2015, it was reported by The New Zealand Herald that Bright Foods subsidiary Shanghai Maling Aquarius Co., Ltd, had reached a $261 Million (NZD) deal to acquire 50% of Silver Fern Farms.
Bright Food's products include:
- Guangming (Bright) dairy products,
- Guansheyuan foodstuffs,
- Da Bai Tu (Big White Rabbit) candy,
- Maling canned foods,
- Bright ice cream products,
- Aquarius water,
- Shikumen rice wine,
- Yutang sugar,
- Tip Top pickled foods,
- Haifeng rice,
- Aiseng pork,
- Daying duck meat products, and
- Shengfeng chocolate.
In 2010 Bright Food had a 5.7 per cent share of China's dairy market, ranking fourth. In the same year it had a 1.4 per cent market share in the Chinese packaged foods market and a 1.6 per cent share of the Chinese ice cream market.
- "Bright Food to buy Australian producer". Shanghai Daily. 16 August 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Bright Food Buys 60% of U.K. Cereal-Maker Weetabix". Bloomberg Businessweek. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "China's Bright Dairy invests in NZ's Synlait". China Daily. 19 July 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Bright Food eyes UK's United Biscuits". China Daily. 28 September 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Bright Food acquires 75% stake in Manassen Foods". China Daily. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "China Bright Food to buy Manassen for over $516 million". Reuters. 14 August 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "China's Bright Food takes 60pc stake in Weetabix". The Telegraph. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Chinese food firm wolfs down Weetabix for £720m". The Guardian. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- reuters.com: "China's Bright Food buys majority stake in Italian olive oil group", 7 Oct 2014
- "About us - Company Profile". Bright Food. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "A Bright future for Chinese food industry". China Daily. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.