British and Irish Modern Music Institute
|Type||Higher Education & Further Education Modern Music College|
|Location||London, Berlin, Dublin, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, UK and Republic of Ireland|
|Website||http://www.bimm.co.uk, http://www.bimm.ie and http://www.bimm-institute.de|
The BIMM Institute is a group of seven independent colleges with over 6,000 students that specialise in the provision of British and Irish Modern Music education in Brighton, Bristol, Dublin, Birmingham, Manchester, Berlin and London. All Colleges focus on full-time Further and Higher Education courses in guitar, drums, bass, songwriting, vocals, music production, music business, event management, music journalism, live sound & tour management and music teacher training (PGCert).
BIMM was founded in Brighton in 2001 as the Brighton Institute of Modern Music. BIMM Bristol opened in 2008. According to their website in 2010, BIMM Group acquired Tech Music School London (TMS) and in 2011 BIMM Dublin opened and in 2013 the group opened BIMM Manchester.
In October 2014 the organisation was renamed the BIMM Institute, British and Irish Modern Music Institute. Tech Music School is now incorporated into BIMM London, based in Fulham.
2012 the Group became a full member of UCAS and the UK Colleges, Brighton, Bristol and London were successfully reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). In 2016 BIMM Limited, Brighton, Bristol and Manchester were successfully reviewed for educational oversight by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and were commended for the quality of student learning opportunities.
According to BIMM's website in all Higher Education undergraduate courses at BIMM Brighton and BIMM Manchester are validated by the University of Sussex and Post-graduate courses by Middlesex University. Additionally, all level 3 Diploma provision is validated by Edexcel or Rockschool.
According to BIMM's website in all Higher Education courses at BIMM Bristol are validated by Bath Spa University and BIMM Dublin courses are validated by Dublin Institute of Technology. BIMM Berlin, and also BIMM London (incorporating Tech Music School) undergraduate provision is validated by University of West London and level 3 Diploma provision is validated by Edexcel.
BIMM was founded in 2001 by Kevin Nixon, Bruce Dickinson, Damian Keyes and Sarah Clayman. This team subsequently sold the group to Sovereign Capital in March 2010.
In January 2012 Adam Carswell was appointed as Managing Director, to lead the management team of Vaseema Hamilton (Principal BIMM Berlin, Brighton, Bristol & London), Dara Kilkenny (Principal BIMM Dublin & Manchester) and Andrew Bates (Director of Academic Quality).
In October 2012 the Group appointed Marketing Director, David O'Connor and in 2016 appointed a new Finance Director, David Jones-Owen.
Course & Accreditations
The BIMM Institute offers a range of level 3 Diploma qualifications regulated by Edexcel and Rockschool. Higher Education Qualifications include, Certificate of Higher Education, Foundation Degree in Professional Musicianship, BA (Hons) in Professional Musicianship, and at BIMM London they additionally offer BMus Popular Music Performance and BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship.
- Izzy Bizu, Artist
- James Bay (singer), Artist
- Tom Odell, Artist
- The Kooks, Artists
- Dani Wilde, Artist
- Ben Thomson Two Door Cinema Club, Artist
- Adam Pitts Lawson, Artist
- Luke Sital-Singh, Artist
- Sam Kelly, Artist
- Chloe Du Pre, Artist - Nicole Scherzinger, Cee Lo Green
- Alice Shaw, Artist - Carly Rae Jepsen, Darren Hayes, Rhythm of the 90s
- Toby Lawrence: Rhythm of the 90s drummer
- James Eldridge Rhythm of the 90s drummer
- Ryan O'Shaughnessy, Artist
- Benjamin Morgan, Artist - Ladyhawke
- Beth Rowley, Artist
- Morning Parade, Artists
- George Ezra, Artist
- Fabio De Oliveira (Drums) George Ezra
- James Meadows, Product Manager - Universal Music Group
- Ed Cox, Label Manager - Mike Stock
- Jason King, Artist - The Gypsy Queens
- The Xcerts, Artists
- Kate Walsh, Artist
- Natasha Bent, Booking Agent - The Agency Group
- Jordan Whitmore, A&R - Atlantic Records
- Phil Simmonds: Jessie J, Plan B, Leona Lewis
- Ash Soan: Adele, Olly Murs, Leona Lewis, Nelly Furtado, Boyzone, Cee Lo Green, Ronan Keating, Seal, Producers
- Vicky Warwick: Cee Lo Green
- Nathan Curran: Basement Jaxx
- Marina Diamandis: Marina & the Diamonds
- Phil Selway: Radiohead
- Ed Drewett: Solo
- Julien Brown: Massive Attack, A1, Will Young, Kylie Minogue, Mariah Carey
- Phil Short: Chip (rapper) formerly known as Chipmunk
- Luke Harris: Wretch 32
- Pascal Consoli: Björk
- Jason Cooper: The Cure
- Doug Fink: Noah and the Whale
- Graham Godfrey: Soweto Kinch, Gabrielle
- Sebastian Steinberg: Lily Allen
- Simon Tellier: Tinchy Stryder
- Thom Mills: Skinny Lister drummer
- "About BIMM Music College". Brighton Institute of Modern Music. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
We're delighted to be bringing our unique music education offer to Manchester from 2013.
- "Review for Educational Oversight: Tech Music School, November 2012". Qaa.ac.uk. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "BIMM, Brighton and Bristol". Qaa.ac.uk. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Review for Educational Oversight". qaa.ac.uk. QAA. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Course Specifications | Brighton". BIMM. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Course Specifications | Bristol". BIMM. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Music Courses & Degrees available at BIMM Music College | Dublin". BIMM. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "The University of West London develops further connections with premier music provider | University of West London". Uwl.ac.uk. 19 July 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2013.