Brighton and Hove High School
|Brighton & Hove High School GDST|
Montpelier Road (High&Sixth);
Radinden Manor Road (Prep)
BN1 3AT (High&Sixth);
BN3 6NH (Prep)
|Type||Independent day school|
|Motto||Veritas est via|
|Founder||Girls’ Public Day School Company|
|Head teacher||Jennifer Smith|
Founded in 1876, the school has expanded from being a very small school for less than twenty pupils to its present size of taking some 600 students. The school comprises a Prep School (Early Years, Key stages 1 & 2), High and Sixth Form.
Brighton & Hove High School is one of the schools of the GDST ( Girls' Day School Trust ), which is the largest group of independent schools in the UK, with 25 member schools nationwide. The main site is at Montpelier Road in the Montpelier area of the city; the High school and Sixth Form, run as a single unit, are located there. The Prep School is located on Radinden Manor Road in Hove, along with the School's hockey pitch and athletics facilities.
The Head of School is Jennifer Smith MA MEd who started in the autumn term of 2012; the Senior Deputy Head is Wendy Fox and the Assistant Head is Jamie Whiteside.
The Good Schools Guide describes it as a school that is “certain of its own value and ethos, with individual encouragement producing fantastic results and grounded girls”.
Brighton & Hove High School is the seventh oldest school founded under the Girls' Day School Trust (1876). Its founders had radical ideas of education for women. Upon leaving, pupils are invited into the 70,000-strong GDST Alumnae network. The school founders' names are now used as the houses, Stanley, Lyttleton, Grey and Gurney. Their motto is translated into Truth is the way from Latin.
Pupils participate in a large number of societies and extra-curricular opportunities. School pupils are divided into four Houses: Grey, Gurney, Lyttelton and Stanley. Charity work is an important feature of the school’s outward-looking ethos. An annual November Fair is a popular community event.
Entrance examinations consist of: 11 + Maths, English & VR; 13+ Maths, English, Science, MFL 16+ Minimum of 5 GCSE passes (including English Language & Maths) with 8/7 s in subjects to be pursued; an interview is also included.
Notable former pupils
- Karen Barber, Dancing On Ice head coach
- Alexandra Bastedo, actress
- Elizabeth Beresford, creator of The Wombles
- David Courtney music composer,producer
- Helen David, artist
- Constance Garnett, translator
- Martha Kearney, journalist
- Amy Levy, poet and writer
- Ida Lupino, actress
- Suzy Menkes, Editor for the International Herald Tribune, journalist
- Gwenda Morgan, artist
- Maureen Muggeridge, geologist and gemologist
- Geraldine Newman, actress
- Lindsay Northover, Baroness Northover, politician
- Karen Pickering, swimmer
- Frances Stead Sellers, journalist
- BBC NEWS | Education | League Tables | Brighton and Hove High School
- Parent Power 2009 | Corby Glen Community Primary School
- "Brighton and Hove High School, Brighton | The Good Schools Guide". The Good Schools Guide. Retrieved 2018-04-20.