Brigidine College, Indooroopilly
|Type||Private, Single-sex, Day school|
|Motto||Latin: Fortiter Et Suaviter
(Strength and Gentleness)
|Enrolment||~700 (7-12 from 2015)|
|Colour(s)||Heritage Green, Navy Blue, Golden Yellow|
Brigidine College is an Independent Catholic Girls' College, located in the suburb of Indooroopilly less than 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from the center of Brisbane, Australia. It was established in 1929 by the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Brigid and continues in their tradition of Strength and Gentleness today.
It is affiliated with the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Alliance of Girls' Schools Australasia (AGSA) and the Catholic Secondary Schoolgirls' Sports Association(CaSSSA).
The College was founded by the Brigidine Sisters in 1929. The school motto - "Fortiter et Suaviter" (translated as Strength and Gentleness), is reflected in every aspect of the school's activities and policies. During 2014, a number of celebrations were held to mark the school's 85 year anniversary including:
- The new Foley House, blessed as the sixth House.
- The exciting new Middle Years Learning Centre, with specialist facilities for Years 7-9, opened.
- A Whole School Photo marking the largest enrolment of students in the College's 85-year history.
- The Kildare Ministries was launched. The establishment of this Public Juridic Person reflects a new movement in the governance and leadership of works within the Church and includes the educational services and community works of both the Brigidine Sisters Australia and Presentation Sisters Victoria. Brigidine College is now under the care of Kildare Ministries in the tradition of the Brigidine Sisters.
There are six Houses at Brigidine College:
- Chanel (Red House, named after Saint Peter Chanel) symbol: flame
- Delany (Yellow House, named after Dr Daniel Delany) symbol: lion
- Damien (Blue House, named after Damien de Veuster) symbol: eagle
- De Porres (Green House, named after Saint Martin de Porres) symbol: dragon
- MacKillop (Jacaranda House, named after Mary MacKillop) symbol: phoenix
- Foley (Magenta House, named after Mother Brigid Foley, the foundation Principal) symbol: Love Heart
Each house is led by two House Captains, who are also known as Prefects. Each girl's House is like her 'family' at school.
A new dress uniform was fully implemented in 2016. See College website for details. The uniform includes a tartan dress, white socks and black formal shoes.