|Mayor of Montauban|
19 March 2001
|Preceded by||Roland Garrigues|
1 May 1953 |
|Political party||The Republicans|
Barèges sparked a controversy when she voiced brusque opposition to proposals for legalized same-sex marriage: "Why not let people get married to animals too?"
Barèges sparked a controversy when she described a black person of her party as "humain stain".
Barèges was punished by French courts because she refused to celebrate the wedding of a foreign couple.
On 17 February 2014, the prosecutor announces that it will conduct an investigation for embezzlement of public funds. Despite this challenge on the judicial front, on 30 March 2014, Barèges won the municipal elections in Montauban for a third term. During the summer of 2014, CNCCFP rejects the accounts for the municipal elections. On 21 October 2014, following the rejection of her campaign accounts, Barèges is comdamned to 1 year ineligibility and non reimbursement of campaign expenses by the Administrative Court of Toulouse. The court mentioned the use of municipality funds to pay an illegal advertising campaign during the election.
- Office of the Secretary General (2012). "Brigitte Barèges". Assemblee-nationale.fr (in French). National Assembly of France. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Mariage homosexuel: Et pourquoi pas des unions avec des animaux?". Francesoir.fr (in French). France Soir. 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "La blague douteuse de Brigitte Barèges" (in French). Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Une maire UMP condamnée pour refus de mariage" (in French). Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Brigitte Barèges, maire UMP de Montauban, déclarée inéligible pour un an" [Brigitte Barèges, UMP mayor of Montauban, declared ineligible for one year]. lemonde.fr (in French). Le monde. 2014. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Official website (in French)
|This article about a Union for a Popular Movement of France politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|