Mendoza at the 69th Venice International Film Festival, September 2012
30 June 1960 |
San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
Brillante Mendoza (born 30 July 1960) is a Filipino film director. He was born and raised in San Fernando, Pampanga. He took Advertising Arts of the then College of Architecture and Fine Arts at the University of Santo Tomas.
He has directed sixteen films since 2005. He won the award for Best Director for his film Kinatay at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival. His 2009 film Lola won the award for Best Film at the 6th Dubai International Film Festival. His 2012 film Captive was shown in competition at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in February 2012.
His 2012 film Thy Womb competed for the Golden Lion at the 69th Venice International Film Festival. His upcoming film Taklub has been selected to be screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.
|2008||Service||Main Competition (2008 Cannes Film Festival)
|2009||Kinatay||Main Competition (2009 Cannes Film Festival)
Winner of Best Director award
|Grandmother||Main Competition (2009 Venice Film Festival)
|2012||Captive||Main Competition (2012 Berlin Film Festival)
|Thy Womb||Main Competition (2012 Venice Film Festival)
|2015||Taklub||Un Certain Regard (2015 Cannes Film Festival)|
- "Brilliante Mendoza: Philippines' celebrated and divisive director". CNN. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Pagdukot sa mga Burnham, isinapelikula". varsitarian. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Festival de Cannes: Kinatay". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- "Dubai International Film Festival – 2009 Winners". dubaifilmfest.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "First Films for the Competition and Berlinale Special". Berlin Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Venezia 69". labiennale. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Complement to the Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2015.