|Also known as||Shining Inheritance|
|Written by||So Hyun-kyung|
|Directed by||Jin Hyuk|
Han Hyo-joo |
|Opening theme||"Only You" by Kang Ha-ni|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||28|
|Executive producer(s)||Huh Woong|
|Running time||Saturdays and Sundays at 21:45 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||Pan Entertainment|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||April 25– July 26, 2009|
|Preceded by||Family's Honor|
|Revised Romanization||Chanranhan Yusan|
Brilliant Legacy (Hangul: 찬란한 유산; RR: Chanranhan Yusan; also known as Shining Inheritance) is a 2009 South Korean television series starring Han Hyo-joo, Lee Seung-gi, Bae Soo-bin and Moon Chae-won. It aired on SBS from April 25 to July 26, 2009 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:45 for 28 episodes.
It was among the top-rated Korean dramas of the year; it maintained its number one spot in the viewership ratings chart for 20 consecutive weeks and reached a peak rating of 47.1% for its last episode.
Go Eun-sung (Han Hyo-joo) was studying overseas in New York and returned to Korea during her vacation to bring her autistic brother, Eun-woo (Yeon Joon-seok), to the United States to study music. Sunwoo Hwan (Lee Seung-gi), who was also studying in New York, was ordered to return to Korea by his grandmother, Jang Sook-ja (Ban Hyo-jung), to learn how to manage her food company. Eun-sung and Hwan, who were on the same flight back home, accidentally had their luggage bags exchanged, which led to several misunderstandings between the two.
Go Pyung-joong (Jeon In-taek), Eun-sung's father, was struggling to save his company from going bankrupt. One day, his wallet and valuables were stolen by a thief who subsequently died in a gas explosion accident. The police, upon finding Pyung-joong’s belongings on the thief, mistakenly identified the thief as him and a death certificate for Pyung-joong was promptly issued. He decided to lie low and not tell his family that he was alive so that his family could claim his life insurance money and use it to clear the debts. However his second wife, Baek Sung-hee (Kim Mi-sook), kicked her stepchildren, Eun-sung and Eun-woo, out of the house after collecting the insurance money and moved into a new home with her daughter, Yoo Seung-mi (Moon Chae-won). Seung-mi was also Hwan's longtime best friend, hoping to be something more.
Eun-sung asked for help from several of her friends, including Hyung-jin, who avoided her because she was no longer rich. She managed to find a job at a nightclub with the help of her friend, Hye-ri. At the nightclub, Eun-sung met Hyung-jin's upperclassman, Park Joon-se (Bae Soo-bin), who was shocked to see her working there. She also met Hwan, who caused her to lose contact with Eun-woo. Realizing that Eun-woo was missing, Eun-sung was devastated and tried searching for her brother but to no avail. With the help of Hye-ri and Joon-se, Eun-sung rented a small room and started a small dumplings stall while continuing her search for Eun-woo.
Meanwhile, Sook-ja became deeply disappointed in her grandson as Hwan had no direction in life and did not know how to cherish her company and employees. While pondering over what to do about her grandson, Sook-ja visited a neighborhood that she used to live in when she was poor and encountered Eun-sung, who was selling dumplings. Sook-ja encountered an accident and received help from Eun-sung. Seeing that Eun-sung tried her best to take care of her even when she could not afford her own daily expenses, Sook-ja was touched by Eun-sung's compassion. She brought Eun-sung home, then announced to her family that Eun-sung was going to live with them and that she was going to appoint Eun-sung as the heir of her food company, if she could raise the profits of the sinking second branch by 20%.
- Han Hyo-joo as Go Eun-sung
- Jeon In-taek as Go Pyung-joong (father)
- Kim Mi-sook as Baek Sung-hee (stepmother)
- Moon Chae-won as Yoo Seung-mi (stepsister)
- Yeon Joon-seok as Go Eun-woo (younger brother)
- Lee Seung-gi as Sunwoo Hwan
- Ban Hyo-jung as Jang Sook-ja (grandmother)
- Yu Ji-in as Oh Young-ran (mother)
- Han Ye-won as Sunwoo Jung (younger sister)
- Lee Seung-hyung as Pyo Sung-chul (Father)
- Min Young-won as Lee Hye-ri (Eun-sung's friend)
- Jung Suk-won as Jin Young-seok (Hwan's friend)
- Son Yeo-eun as Jung In-young (Eun-sung and Seung-mi's friend)
- Kim Jae-seung as Lee Hyung-jin (Joon-se's junior colleague)
- Baek Seung-hyeon as Lee Joon-young / Manager Lee (store manager)
- Park Sang-hyun as Han Soo-jae (store worker)
- Only You (너 하나만) – Kang Ha-ni (Opening Title)
- The Person Living in My Heart (내 가슴에 사는 사람) – Isu
- Crazy in Love (사랑에 미쳐서) – Ji-sun
- Love is Punishment (사랑은 벌이다) – K.Will
- Spring Rain – Ji-hye
- Dear Sister (그리운 누나)
- Catch Hwan (환이를 잡아라)
- Are We Family? (우리가 가족이니?)
- Funny Life
- The Road Leading to You (너에게 가는 길)
- Smile Working
- Last Lie (마지막 거짓말)
- Bickering (티격태격)
- Memories of Separation (이별의 기억)
- Spring Rain (Guitar Ver.)
- Destiny, the Second Story (운명, 그 두번째 이야기)
|2009-04-25||1||16.9% (1st)||17.0% (3rd)|
|2009-04-26||2||19.2% (4th)||19.6% (5th)|
|2009-05-02||3||15.9% (3rd)||15.6% (3rd)|
|2009-05-03||4||21.7% (3rd)||21.6% (4th)|
|2009-05-09||5||21.8% (1st)||23.1% (1st)|
|2009-05-10||6||26.5% (2nd)||27.7% (1st)|
|2009-05-16||7||24.7% (2nd)||25.1% (1st)|
|2009-05-17||8||28.5% (1st)||29.6% (1st)|
|2009-05-23||9||26.8% (1st)||27.4% (1st)|
|2009-05-24||10||29.1% (1st)||29.4% (1st)|
|2009-05-30||11||28.5% (1st)||28.1% (1st)|
|2009-05-31||12||33.4% (1st)||33.3% (1st)|
|2009-06-06||13||28.5% (1st)||29.2% (1st)|
|2009-06-07||14||33.4% (1st)||33.3% (1st)|
|2009-06-13||15||30.9% (1st)||30.4% (1st)|
|2009-06-14||16||34.1% (1st)||34.4% (1st)|
|2009-06-20||17||32.9% (1st)||32.7% (1st)|
|2009-06-21||18||35.5% (1st)||36.1% (1st)|
|2009-06-27||19||33.0% (1st)||33.8% (1st)|
|2009-06-28||20||39.9% (1st)||40.6% (1st)|
|2009-07-04||21||35.6% (1st)||35.7% (1st)|
|2009-07-05||22||39.7% (1st)||40.1% (1st)|
|2009-07-11||23||38.5% (1st)||37.6% (1st)|
|2009-07-12||24||41.8% (1st)||41.7% (1st)|
|2009-07-18||25||40.1% (1st)||39.9% (1st)|
|2009-07-19||26||43.4% (1st)||44.0% (1st)|
|2009-07-25||27||44.6% (1st)||45.3% (1st)|
|2009-07-26||28||47.1% (1st)||47.4% (1st)|
Source: TNS Media Korea
Awards and nominations
|2009||Hot Male Drama Star||Lee Seung-gi||Won|
|Hot Female Drama Star||Han Hyo-joo||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Kim Mi-sook||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Special Planning Drama||Lee Seung-gi||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Kim Mi-sook||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor in a Special Planning Drama||Lee Seung-hyung||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Yu Ji-in||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Han Hyo-joo||Won|
|Best Couple||Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-joo||Won|
|Achievement Award||Ban Hyo-jung||Won|
|2010||Best Drama||Brilliant Legacy||Nominated|
|Best Actress (TV)||Han Hyo-joo||Nominated|
|Best New Director (TV)||Jin Hyuk||Nominated|
|Best New Actor (TV)||Lee Seung-gi||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay (TV)||So Hyun-kyung||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Lee Seung-gi||Won|
|Best Serial Drama||Brilliant Legacy||Won|
|Outstanding Korean Actress||Han Hyo-joo||Won|
|Most Popular Actor||Lee Seung-gi||Won|
|2011||Platinum Remi Award||Brilliant Legacy||Won|
|Foreign TV Series Special Award||Brilliant Legacy||Won|
- The series aired in Japan on Fuji TV in March 2010, where it received the highest viewership ratings in its timeslot recorded in a decade.
- It aired on GMA Network in the Philippines, and also aired on Animax Asia (for Malaysia and the Philippines) in 2010. Previously, it has been aired on 8TV (Malaysia).
- It aired on Channel 3 in Thailand in February 2012.
- Oh, Jean (24 April 2009). "Light-hearted romance joins weekend lineup". The Korea Herald.
- Park, Sun-young (16 July 2009). "Brilliant drama leaving its own legacy". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Lee, Han Picked as Rising Ad Models". The Korea Times. 24 September 2009. Archived from the original on 2013-12-05.
- "Han Hyo-joo: 'Good People Deserve to be Happy'". KBS Global. 5 June 2009.
- "Lee Seung-gi Branches Out". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 July 2009.
- "이승기, 'Mnet 20's 초이스' 핫드라마스타 男부문 수상"[permanent dead link]. Yahoo! Korea (in Korean). 28 August 2009.
- "베스트커플상 한효주-이승기, 깜찍한 하트 환상의 궁합". Newsen (in Korean). 1 January 2010.
- Han, Sang-hee (3 January 2010). "2009 Drama Awards Wrap Up With No Surprises". The Korea Times.
- "이승기-윤아, TV부문 인기상 수상 (백상)". My Daily (in Korean). 26 March 2010.
- "'찬란한 유산', 한국방송대상 장편드라마상". Star News (in Korean). 3 September 2010.
- Han, Sang-hee (24 August 2010). "Drama fest to offer diversity". The Korea Times.
- Kim, Jessica (23 August 2010). "Slave Hunters top 'Hallyu' content at Seoul Drama Awards". 10Asia.
- Oh, Jean (12 September 2010). "The Slave Hunters sweeps four honors". The Korea Herald.
- Kim, Yoon-mi (20 April 2011). "SBS drama Brilliant Legacy wins platinum at Houston film festival". The Korea Herald.
- "'찬란한유산', 상하이TV페스티벌 특별상 수상". Star News (in Korean). 13 June 2011.
- Cho, Bum-ja (18 February 2010). "Korean drama Shining Inheritance to air in Japan". 10Asia.
- Hong, Lucia (9 March 2010). "Actress Han Hyo-joo promotes drama in Japan". 10Asia.
- Hong, Lucia (1 April 2010). "Shining Inheritance ends run in Japan with flying colors". 10Asia.
- Kim, Lynn (23 April 2010). "Korean Wave: The New Generation". 10Asia.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (6 September 2009). "Korean Dramas Continue to Captivate the Philippines". The Korea Times.
- , "8TV schedule
- "เรื่องย่อ มรดกรักฉบับพันล้านวอน". Kapook.com. 16 August 2015. Thai: ภาษาไทย
- Hong, Lucia (15 June 2011). "China to remake Lee Seung-gi starrer Brilliant Legacy". 10Asia.