Brimm Medical Arts High School
|Dr. Charles E. Brimm Medical Arts High School|
1626 Copewood Street|
Camden, NJ 08103
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Camden City Public Schools|
|Enrollment||203 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.5:1|
Dr. Charles E. Brimm Medical Arts High School (Brimm Medical Arts for short) is a four-year magnet public high school with a "break the mold" vision focused directly on medicine, dentistry, nursing, allied health professions and other ancillary health care areas. This school serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Camden in Camden County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Camden City Public Schools. The school opened in 1994 with a freshmen class of 60 students.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 203 students and 15.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.5:1. There were 101 students (49.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and none eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 243rd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 208th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 157th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 71st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 105th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state.
Each year in the months of March and April students in grade 8 in Camden are eligible to apply to the school. In May of the same year, all students who applied are interviewed and tested. 60-65 students that best exhibit what the school is looking for are selected from among the candidates to start the next school year at Brimm.
Medical Arts does not offer its own athletic programs, but students are still able to participate in athletics. Students that would like to participate in athletics are able to play for the teams of Camden High School and Woodrow Wilson High School.
Over 90% of the students are performing at or above national averages in recent PSAT and SAT scores. Moreover, 94.1% of the students at MAHS passed the math portion of the HSPT on their first attempt, 96.1% passed writing and 88% passed reading.
National Honor Society
The Dr. Charles E. Brimm chapter of the National Honor Society is a duly chartered and affiliated chapter of the national organization. Its purpose is the creation of enthusiasm for scholarship, the stimulation of a desire to render service, the promotion of worthy leadership, and the encouragement of character in all students.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Hye-Won Gehring, Principal
- School data for Dr. Charles E. Brimm Medical Arts High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- History, Brimm Medical Arts High School. Accessed September 8, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 10, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- About the Principal, Brimm Medical Arts High School. Accessed November 8, 2016.