Bristol Homeopathic Hospital
|Bristol Homeopathic Hospital|
|University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust|
Hampton House, the former site of Bristol Homeopathic Hospital
|Location||Bristol, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Bristol Homeopathic Hospital was a hospital in the city of Bristol in south-west England, specializing in homeopathic treatments. The Cotham House building, designed by George Oatley, is a Grade II listed building.
The hospital was founded as a dispensary in 1832 and became a hospital in 1852.
From 1925, the hospital was based in its own building, Hampton House, in the Cotham area of Bristol. It joined the National Health Service in 1948. On 7 January 2013 the hospital moved operations from Cotham to the South Bristol Community Hospital. In-patient services had been provided at Cotham House until 1986, when they were moved to the Bristol Eye Hospital, with out-patients continuing at Cotham House.
Homeopathic services ceased at the Hospital in October 2015, partly in response to a campaign against the public funding of homeopathy lead by the Good Thinking Society and public figures such as Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst. University Hospitals Bristol confirmed to the Clinincal Commissioning Group that it would cease to offer homeopathic therapies from October 2015, at which point homeopathic therapies would no longer be included in the contract.
Homeopathic services in the Bristol area were relocated to the Portland Centre for Integrative Medicine, described as "a new independent social enterprise." In response to a FOI request, Bristol Clinical Commissioning Group revealed that "there are currently no (NHS) contracts for homeopathy in place with the Portland Centre."
- Historic England. "Bristol Homeopathic Hospital (Grade II) (1403123)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Sue Young (27 May 2010). "The Bristol Homeopathic Hospital". Sue Young Histories. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Bristol Homeopathic Hospital". University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. 2013. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Bristol Homeopathic Hospital To Cease Offering Homeopathic Treatments". Good Thinking. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Cardwell, Mark (10 June 2015). "Homeopathy services will no longer be available at Bristol NHS Trust hospitals". Bristol Post. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Mark Cardwell (2 April 2015), NHS spends more than £200,000 on homeopathic treatments in Bristol, archived from the original on 7 September 2015, retrieved 19 December 2016
|This article about a Bristol building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom hospital article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|