Britannica International School Shanghai
|Britannica International School Shanghai|
|1988 Gubei Road
Shanghai, China, 201103
|School type||International School|
|Established||2 September 2012|
|Status||Opened September 2013|
|Age||2 to 18|
|Pupils||Maximum Capacity 750|
The Britannica International School of Shanghai was founded in 2013 by Orbital Education headquartered near Manchester in the UK. Orbital Education is led by Kevin McNeany who previously founded Nord Anglia group. The school has a diverse population between the ages of 2-18, the campus is a safe and secure environment for all ages with a capacity for 750-800 students.
Britannica is unique in Shanghai through its British ownership, management, teaching staff and resourcing.
The Principal is David Goodwin who was previously Head of School in Beijing, China and in Colombo, Sri Lanka. David graduated in the UK from City University and holds a master's degree in Education from the University of Southampton. He additionally has extensive experience managing top independent schools in the south of England. The Founding Principal was Alun Thomas BA Dip Ed.
There are three specialist science laboratories and ICT suites, a 300-seat theatre, music room, 2 libraries, an indoor swimming pool, sports hall and field and a spacious dining room.
The school delivers an enhanced version of the English National Curriculum preparing pupils for International General Certificate of Education (IGCSE) at 16. Essentially this means that in addition to the core curriculum, there is the opportunity for the pupils to study Mandarin and to learn about the Culture, History and Geography of China, and to study other modern languages. Pupils are prepared for the Cambridge University International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and in due course will offer year 12 and 13 students the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (A Level) leading to British and international university entrance.
Accreditations and Membership
The Britannica International School is a member of:
- Council of British International Schools which promotes British International schools of global quality
- Council of International Schools which helps support the continuous improvement of international education
- Britannica International School, Shanghai was the first International ASA affiliated Swim School
- Orbital, Education. "Orbital Education". Orbital Education. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Beckett, Francis. "The New Statesman Profile - Kevin McNeany". New Statesman. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Baker, Amy. "Orbital opens new school in Shanghai". The PIE News. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Britannica International School Shanghai". AngloInfo. Angloinfo. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- STAR. "Britannica Appoints New School Principal". STAR magazine. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Parkes, Douglas. "Time Out Family Shanghai interviews: Alun Thomas". Time Out Shanghai Family. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Britannica International School Shanghai". Angloinfo. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Thomas, Alun. "Britannica Shanghai About Us". Britannica Shanghai. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Cambridge Exam Centers". Cambridge English. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Britannica International School". Council of British International Schools.
- "Britannica International School, Shanghai". Council of International Schools. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Swim Schools - International". British Swimming & The ASA. Retrieved 4 August 2014.