|Founded||18 August 2011|
|Headquarters||7 Craigton Cottages|
Britannica is a far-right political party in the United Kingdom, led by Charles Baillie, the former organiser of the British National Party's Glasgow branch. It was first registered in August 2011.
The party was formed by Baillie when he, along with other leading members of the BNP in Scotland, was expelled for plotting against the then party leader, Nick Griffin. It is, in essence, the core of the BNP Glasgow branch, including Max Dunbar (treasurer and former treasurer of BNP Glasgow), Jean Douglas and Martin Clark. John Robertson, the BNP "security officer" for the Highlands & Islands, is also a member.
The party has been mostly inactive since 2014, and may have now effectively disbanded.
The party stood four candidates at the Glasgow City Council election, 2012, receiving a total of 73 votes. It also stood at three council by-elections in Glasgow, in Hillhead (17 November 2011, 11 votes), Govan (10 October 2013, 19 votes) and Shettleston (5 December 2013, 31 votes).
The party does not appear to have grown, but its accounts have been regularly filed with the Electoral Commission, showing income for 2015 and 2016 respectively of 4p and 3p, with the only expenditure in both years being the annual £50 registration fee to the Commission.
- Goodwin, Matthew (19 August 2012). "The far right is fragmenting". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Gable, Sonia (8 April 2012). "Britannica Party fields four candidates". Searchlight. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Beaton, Connor (21 June 2014). "BNP splinter joins anti-indy campaign". The Targe. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Britannica Party". Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Britannica Party", Hope not Hate. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- Register of permitted participants at the referendum on independence for Scotland, Electoral Commission.
- Britannica - search at Electoral Commission. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
|This article about a political party in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|