British Columbia New Democratic Party leadership election, 2014
|Date||May 4, 2014 (originally September 28, 2014)|
|Resigning leader||Adrian Dix|
|Won by||John Horgan|
The British Columbia New Democratic Party leadership election of 2014 was to be held from September 24 to 27 with the results announced on September 28; however as John Horgan was the only candidate to be officially nominated by the deadline of May 1, 2014 at 5 pm, he was acclaimed leader. The election was called following Adrian Dix's resignation announcement on September 18, 2013, several months after the party's unexpected defeat in the 2013 election after pre-campaign polls had shown the NDP ahead by as much as 20 points.
The party set the entrance fee for candidates at $25,000 and a spending maximum of $350,000.
The leadership vote was to be conducted by preferential ballot cast via internet and telephone with all party members being eligible to vote. The voting was to occur from September 24 to 27 with the results announced on September 28. Unlike the previous leadership election, which was also conducted on a One Member One Vote basis, members would not have had the option of voting at the convention itself or on a live ballot by ballot basis but can only cast a preferential ballot and do so by internet or phone.
The deadline for candidates to be nominated was May 1, 2014. The deadline to join the NDP and be eligible to vote was to be June 26, 2014.
- May 14, 2013 - NDP fails to win provincial election, dropping by two seats, despite having led the Liberals in polling prior to the election campaign.
- September 18, 2013 - Adrian Dix announces his decision to resign as leader once his successor is chosen.
- January 18–19, 2014 - NDP executive decides on rules and timeline for leadership election to be held September 28, 2014.
- March 2, 2014 - NDP Finance Critic Mike Farnworth announces his candidacy.
- March 17, 2014 - NDP Education Critic John Horgan declares his candidacy.
- April 8, 2014 - Farnsworth withdraws, endorses Horgan.
- May 1, 2014 - Deadline for candidates to be nominated; Horgan acclaimed NDP leader.
- May 4, 2014 - Horgan officially inaugurated as NDP leader.
MLA for Juan de Fuca since 2005, Horgan has been Opposition Critic for Education and, until his candidacy was announced, he was Opposition Energy Critic (2006-2014) and Opposition House Leader (2011-2014). Horgan ran in the 2011 leadership election placing third.
- Support from caucus members: Carole James, Harry Bains, Mable Elmore, David Eby, Michelle Mungall, Selina Robinson, Sue Hammell, Maurine Karagianis, Bill Routley, Raj Chouhan Robin Austin, Judy Darcy, Kathy Corrigan, Scott Fraser, Jane Shin, Claire Trevena
- Support from federal caucus members: Fin Donnelly
- Support from former caucus members: Dawn Black, Joe Trasolini
- Date candidacy declared: March 17, 2014
MLA for Port Coquitlam (1991–2001, 2005–present), Opposition Finance Critic (current), former Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing (1997–98), Minister of Employment and Investment and Minister Responsible for Housing (1998–2000), Minister of Health and Minister Responsible for Seniors (2000), and Minister Social Development and Economic Security (2000–01), placed second in the 2011 leadership election.
- Support from caucus members: Lana Popham, Doug Donaldson
- Support from federal caucus members:
- Support from former caucus members:
- Date candidacy declared: March 2, 2014
- Date withdrawn: April 8, 2014
- Reason: Farnsworth withdrew, conceding that he could not beat Horgan who had amassed the support of over half the NDP's 34 member caucus. He had not officially registered his candidacy prior to deciding not to run.
Potential candidates who declined to run
MLAs Rob Fleming, David Eby, Judy Darcy and George Heyman, federal MPs Kennedy Stewart, Nathan Cullen, Fin Donnelly and Peter Julian, mayors Derek Corrigan and Gregor Robertson and Vancouver School Board chairperson Patti Bacchus have all announced that they will not be candidates for the party leadership.
- British Columbia New Democratic Party
- British Columbia New Democratic Party leadership conventions
- British Columbia New Democratic Party leadership election, 2011
- "John Horgan acclaimed as B.C. NDP leader". Vancouver Sun. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Ferry, Jon (May 15, 2013). "Jobs, tax fears win out as Liberal victory proves pundits wrong". The Province. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Fowlie, Jonathan (May 15, 2013). "Liberals pull off stunning B.C. win, form majority government". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Hébert, Chantal (May 15, 2013). "NDP across Canada must be mourning stunning B.C. election loss". The Star. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "New NDP rules will make challenging Farnworth tougher". Vancouver Sun. January 21, 2014. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "John Horgan acclaimed new leader of B.C. NDP". CBC News. May 3, 2014. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "John Horgan enters B.C. NDP leadership race with support of former leader". The Globe and Mail. March 17, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Farnworth exits B.C. NDP race, leaving only Horgan in the running". Globe and Mail. April 8, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "B.C.'s Horgan rallies support for NDP leadership campaign". Globe and Mail. March 19, 2014. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "NDP leadership candidate John Horgan picks up Tri-Cities support". The Now. April 4, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "NDP leadership candidate John Horgan announces support from 10 new MLAs". Global News. March 23, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "MLA John Horgan announces another run at the B.C. NDP leadership". Vancouver Sun. March 17, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "South Asian MLAs Harry Bains and Raj Chouhan join John Horgan's camp in leadership race". Indo-Canadian Voice. March 30, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "NDP members, not MLAs, will decide next leader: Farnworth". The Tyee. March 27, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Trio of Tri-City NDPers back Horgan, not Farnworth, for leader". Tri-City News. April 4, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Mike Farnworth strikes hardline tone for B.C. NDP leadership race". The Globe and Mail. March 2, 2014. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Fleming gives B.C. NDP leadership race a pass". Globe and Mail. March 22, 2014. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "MLA Darcy won't run for NDP leadership". Vancouver Sun. January 23, 2014. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Class Notes: VSB Chair Bacchus says no to NDP run". Vancouver Courier. March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 29, 2014.