British Institute of Radiology
The society can be traced back to two separate institutes, "The X-Ray Society" in April, 1897, and "The Röntgen Society"; both were formed in the wake of the discovery of x-rays by Wilhelm Röntgen in 1895. The latter was founded by Dr John McIntyre in 1897. He had been the first person in Britain to use x-rays, using equipment created by William Thomson, Lord Kelvin at Glasgow Royal Infirmary on 5 February 1896.
The formalisation of the BIR occurred in 1927 upon the merger of the two societies. The BIR became a registered charity in 1963.
Notable past presidents
- 1897-98 Silvanus P Thompson
- 1907-08 William Duddell
- 1922-23 Sir Humphry Rolleston
- 1923-24 Sir Oliver Lodge
- 1973-74 Frank Farmer
- ? Robert Steiner
- 2003-04 Janet Husband
Taken directly from the British Institute of Radiology Mission Statement.
- To promote the usefulness of the work of the radiologist, radiobiologist, physicist, radiographer, and X-ray engineer in the medical field and in the industrial application of radioactive substances.
- To disseminate knowledge concerning all aspects of the science of radiology, radiobiology and the medical applications of nuclear science.
The British Institute of Radiology publishes several scientific journals:
- British Journal of Radiology, the official journal of the British Institute of Radiology. Print ISSN 0007-1285, Online ISSN 1748-880X.
- Imaging, Print ISSN 0965-6812, Online ISSN 1748-8818.
- Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, the official journal of the International Association of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology (IADMFR). Print ISSN 0250-832X, Online ISSN 1476-542X.
- "History of the British Institute of Radiology". British Institute of Radiology. Retrieved 6/12/13. Check date values in:
- http://bjr.birjournals.org/content/20/234/221 The Jubilee of the Röntgen Society
- BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX OF FORMER FELLOWS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF EDINBURGH 1783 – 2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X.
- "Presidents of the British Institute of Radiology". British Institute of Radiology. Retrieved 6/12/13. Check date values in:
- Haggith, John (27 August 2004). "Obituary: Frank Farmer". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Daphne Christie; Tilli Tansey, eds. (2002), Wellcome Witnesses to Contemporary Medicine, History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group, ISBN 978-0-85484-084-7 http://www.histmodbiomed.org/witsem/vol14 Missing or empty
|title=(help), Wikidata Q29581663