British International School, Phuket
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|British International School, Phuket (BISP)|
59 Moo 2, Thepkrasattri Road, T. Koh Kaew, Mueang Phuket District
|Type||Private international school|
The British International School, Phuket (BISP) is an English-medium, co-educational, day and boarding school, established in 1996. The 44 acre (99 rai) campus includes eight boarding houses, primary and secondary schools, and sports facilities including swimming pools, tennis courts, football pitches, and golf centre. The student population consists of 850 day and boarding students, with 60 nationalities represented.
The school provides a pre-school, primary and secondary school education. After Early Years, Key stages 1, 2 and 3 are based on the National Curriculum of England and Wales. Students then complete the two-year IGCSE programme in Years 10 and 11, followed by the IB Diploma programme in Years 12 and 13.
The school has 100 full-time and five part-time teachers representing 16 different nationalities, including the UK, US, Canada, France and Australia. The school also has 40 Thai teaching assistants assisting in the primary and secondary schools. In addition, there are more than 300 Thai support staff, including in maintenance, gardening, security, nursing, and housekeeping.
Six tennis courts, two primary sized football pitches, eight middle school sized football pitches, an Olympic-sized 50 metre swimming pool, a 25-metre swimming pool, an indoor sports hall, a primary gym, a fitness gym, two indoor basketball courts, an outdoor basketball court, a golf short game centre, and a full-sized trapeze with professional trainers.
The school offers academic, artistic and sporting activities for students, through the Creativity, Activity & Service (CAS) programme, as well as optional courses. Activities include Model United Nations and the International Award. The student-elected Primary and Secondary Student Councils raise funds in support of local charitable initiatives. School musical performances have included ‘The Lion King’, ‘Grease’ and 'Oliver'.
BISP's Aspirational Curriculum provides opportunities for students, usually in the final four years of school and organised around the mainstream curriculum, to pursue career opportunities to a professional standard. The sporting academies are:
- Cruzeiro Football Academy,
- JSA Swim Academy,
- RPT Tennis Academy,
- Golf Academy.
The academic academies are:
- Business Academy,
- Art & Design Academy,
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) Academy.
The annual Soccer Sevens international schools football tournament attracts 2000 competitors, 150 teams, from 40 schools, from 10 countries, making it the largest such football tournament of its kind anywhere in the world. Players range in ages from 7 years-old to 18 years-old. They play on 12 x 7-aside pitches on the school campus.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations
- International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
- World Academy of Sport (WAoS) Athlete Friendly Education Centre
- Council of International Schools (CIS)
- New England Association of School and Colleges (NEASC)
- Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA)
- Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA)
- International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT)
- Peninsula Sports Federation (PSF)
- Boarding Schools Association (United Kingdom) (BSA)
Testing and examinations
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE Cambridge International Examinations)
- College Board Scholastic Achievement Tests (SAT and PSAT) (Authorised Centre)
- Cambridge English Examinations
- Spoken English Assessment - London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts (LAMDA)
- Rockschool Examinations
Notable students and alumni