British NVC community H1
NVC community H1 (Calluna vulgaris - Festuca ovina heath) is one of the heath communities in the British National Vegetation Classification system. It is one of five communities categorised as lowland dry heaths.
It is a fairly localised community. There are five subcommunities.
The following constant species are found in this community:
- Heather (Calluna vulgaris)
- Sheep's Fescue (Festuca ovina)
- Broom Fork-moss Dicranum scoparium
- Cypress-leaved Plait-moss Hypnum cupressiforme sensu lato
No rare species are associated with the community.
There are five subcommunities:
- the Hypnum cupressiforme subcommunity
- the Hypogymnia physodes - Cladonia impexa subcommunity
- the Teucrium scorodonia subcommunity
- the Carex arenaria subcommunity
- the so-called species-poor subcommunity
- Rodwell, J. S. (1991) British Plant Communities Volume 2 - Mires and heaths ISBN 0-521-39165-2 (hardback), ISBN 0-521-62720-6 (paperback)