British Rail Class 196
|British Rail Class 196 Civity|
|In service||From 2020|
|Number under construction||26 units to be built|
|Formation||12 x 2-car units|
14 x 4-car units
|Operator(s)||West Midlands Trains|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Class 196 Civity is a class of diesel multiple unit being constructed for Abellio/Mitsui/JR East consortium subsidiary West Midlands Trains by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of 26 units are to be built, twelve two-car units and fourteen four-car units.
The trains will enter service in 2020.
Shortly after the announcement a consortium of Abellio, Mitsui and JR East had been awarded the West Midlands franchise, West Midlands Trains confirmed they had placed an order for 26 diesel multiple units based on CAF's Civity platform.
West Midlands Trains
West Midlands Trains plan to replace their fleet of 23 Class 170/5 & 170/6 Turbostar and the 8 Class 153 units, which operate on West Midlands Railway services, with 26 Class 196 units. The Class 153 units will either be off-leased or transfer to Transport for Wales to cover for delays with their new rolling stock and the 170s will move to East Midlands Railway with the centre cars of 170/6 being transferred to CrossCountry 
|Class||Operator||Number||Year Built||Cars||Unit nos.|
|Class 196||West Midlands Trains||12||2019-2020||2||TBC|
- British Rail Class 195 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 331 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 397 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for TransPennine Express.
- Fender, Keith; Sheratt, Philip (June 2018). "West Midlands prepares for new fleets". Modern Railways. 75 (837): 78.
- Briginshaw, David. "New West Midlands franchise orders 107 trains". International Railway Journal. International Railway Journal. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Milner, Chris (June 2019). "West Midlands Class 196 DMU construction underway". The Railway Magazine. Vol. 165 no. 1, 419. Horncastle: Mortons Media. p. 104. ISSN 0033-8923.