British Rail Class 196
|British Rail Class 196 Civity|
196101 on test at Malvern Link in July 2020
|In service||From 2021|
|Built at||Newport, Wales (final assembly)|
|Number under construction||19|
|Formation||12 x 2-car units|
14 x 4-car units
|Operator(s)||West Midlands Trains|
|Line(s) served||Birmingham New Street to Hereford/Shrewsbury|
|Maximum speed||100 mph (160 km/h)|
|Prime mover(s)||One per car, Rolls-Royce MTU 6H1800R85L 13-litre 6-cylinder turbo-Diesel|
|Power output||523 hp (390 kW) per engine|
|Multiple working||Within class|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The British Rail Class 196 Civity is a class of diesel multiple unit being constructed for West Midlands Trains by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of 26 units are to be built; twelve two-car units and fourteen four-car units.
Shortly after the announcement that a consortium of Abellio, Mitsui and JR East had been awarded the West Midlands franchise, West Midlands Trains confirmed they had placed an order for 26 diesel multiple units based on CAF's Civity platform.
West Midlands Trains
West Midlands Trains plan to replace their fleet of 23 Class 170/5 & 170/6 Turbostar and the 8 Class 153 units, which operate on West Midlands Railway services, with 26 Class 196 units. The Class 153 units will either be off-leased or transfer to Transport for Wales to cover for delays with their new rolling stock, whilst the Class 170s will move to East Midlands Railway so as to replace the Class 153, 156 and 158s in its regional services, with the exception of the centre cars of the Class 170/6 units being transferred to CrossCountry to lengthen their Class 170/5s. These units will be run on Birmingham to Shrewsbury via Telford services, Birmingham to Hereford services, with appearances on the Snow Hill Lines (Dorridge & Stratford-upon-Avon to Worcester) on occasion.
|Class||Operator||Number||Year Built||Cars||Unit nos.|
|Class 196/0||West Midlands Trains||12||2019–20||2||196001–012|
- British Rail Class 195 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 197 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for Transport for Wales.
- British Rail Class 331 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform also built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 397 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform built for TransPennine Express.
- Moore, Kyle. "Video: First glimpse of brand new West Midlands Railway trains". Birmingham Updates. Birmingham Updates. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Vosman, Quintus (13 January 2020). "New British fleets undergo testing in Velim". International Railway Journal. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- Fender, Keith; Sheratt, Philip (June 2018). "West Midlands prepares for new fleets". Modern Railways. 75 (837): 78.
- Briginshaw, David. "New West Midlands franchise orders 107 trains". International Railway Journal. International Railway Journal. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- ″West Midlands Trains reveals first Class 196 DMU″. Rail Business UK, 18 December 2019
- "First brand new CAF train delivered to West Midlands Trains". www.railmagazine.com. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- Milner, Chris (June 2019). "West Midlands Class 196 DMU construction underway". The Railway Magazine. Vol. 165 no. 1, 419. Horncastle: Mortons Media. p. 104. ISSN 0033-8923.
- "Class 196 Fleet | West Midlands Railway". www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-19.