British Rail Class 196
|British Rail Class 196 Civity|
|In service||2022 (Planned)|
|Built at||Newport, Wales (final assembly)|
|Number under construction||4|
|Formation||12 x 2-car units|
14 x 4-car units
|Operator(s)||West Midlands Railway|
|Line(s) served||Birmingham New Street to Hereford/Shrewsbury|
|Maximum speed||100 mph (160 km/h)|
|Prime mover(s)||One per car, Rolls-Royce MTU 6H1800R85L 13-litre 6-cylinder turbo-Diesel|
|Power output||523 hp (390 kW) per engine|
|Coupling system||Dellner automatic couplers|
|Multiple working||Within class|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The British Rail Class 196 Civity is a class of diesel multiple unit being constructed for West Midlands Trains by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of 26 units are to be built; 12 two-car units and 14 four-car units.
Shortly after the announcement that a consortium of Abellio, Mitsui and JR East had been awarded the West Midlands franchise, West Midlands Trains confirmed they had placed an order for 26 diesel multiple units based on CAF's Civity platform.
West Midlands Trains
West Midlands Trains plan to replace their fleet of 23 Class 170/5 Turbostar units.
These units will be run on Birmingham to Shrewsbury via Telford services, Birmingham to Hereford services, with appearances on the Snow Hill Lines (Dorridge & Stratford-upon-Avon to Worcester) on occasion.
|Class||Operator||Number||Year Built||Cars||Unit nos.|
|Class 196/0||West Midlands Trains||12||2019–20||2||196001–012|
- British Rail Class 195 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 197 - A diesel multiple unit similar to the class 196. Currently being built for Transport for Wales Rail.
- British Rail Class 331 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform also built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 397 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform built for TransPennine Express.
- "Class 196 fleet | West Midlands Railway". www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- Moore, Kyle. "Video: First glimpse of brand new West Midlands Railway trains". Birmingham Updates. Birmingham Updates. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Vosman, Quintus (13 January 2020). "New British fleets undergo testing in Velim". International Railway Journal. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "New British fleets undergo testing in Velim". 13 January 2020.
- Fender, Keith; Sheratt, Philip (June 2018). "West Midlands prepares for new fleets". Modern Railways. Vol. 75, no. 837. p. 78.
- Briginshaw, David (12 December 2017). "New West Midlands franchise orders 107 trains". International Railway Journal. International Railway Journal. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "West Midlands Trains reveals first Class 196 DMU". Railway Gazette International. 18 December 2019. Archived from the original on 18 December 2019.
- "First brand new CAF train delivered to West Midlands Trains". www.railmagazine.com. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "Class 196 Fleet | West Midlands Railway". www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk. Retrieved 19 September 2020.