British Rail Class 331
|British Rail Class 331 Civity|
331101 in the CAF factory at Zaragoza
|In service||From 2018|
|Built at||Zaragoza, Spain|
|Number under construction||43 units to be built|
31 x 3-car units|
12 x 4-car units
204 seats (331/0)|
284 seats (331/1)
71.4 m (234 ft 3 in) (331/0)|
94.75 m (310 ft 10 in) (331/1)
|Maximum speed||160 km/h (100 mph)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Class 331 is a class of electric multiple unit being constructed for Northern by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of 43 units are to be built: 31 three-car units and 12 four-car units.
Construction started in July 2017 and the trains will be phased into service between December 2018 and December 2019.
In early 2016 it was confirmed that Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF would construct the new electric trains which are planned to operate in West Yorkshire, replacing Class 321 and Class 322 trains and working alongside the current fleet of Class 333 units. The 331s will also be deployed on electrified services from Manchester Airport to Preston and Blackpool North. They will replace the Class 323 units which currently run on Manchester Piccadilly station local services, which are due to return to Porterbrook at the end of their current lease in 2018.
Construction started in July 2017, with the first completed unit being unveiled on 31 January 2018. The first set will arrive in the UK from spring 2018, and the new stock will be phased into service between December 2018 and December 2019.
|Class||Operator||No. Built||Year Built||Cars per Unit||Unit nos.|
- British Rail Class 195 - The diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform also being built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 196 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for West Midlands Trains.
- British Rail Class 397 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for TransPennine Express.
- Clinnick, Richard. "Northern unveils its first new CAF-built train". Rail Magazine. Rail Magazine. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Northern Franchise Agreement" (PDF). Gov.uk. Gov.uk. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "Long Term Passenger Rolling Stock Strategy for the Rail Industry, Fourth Edition, March 2016". Rail Delivery Group. Rail Delivery Group. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Intention to award Northern franchise to Arriva". Arriva Rail North. Arriva Rail North. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Likely removal of North West '323s' angers user group".
- CAF to supply 98 trains for Britain's Northern franchise International Railway Journal 22 January 2016
- "CAF begins production of new trains for Northern".
- "CAF presents first Civity EMU for Northern". International Railway Journal. 31 January 2018. Retrieved 7 February 2018.