British Rail Class 717
|British Rail Class 717 Desiro City|
British Rail Class 717 train at InnoTrans 2018 in Berlin, Germany
|In service||September 2018|
|Built at||Krefeld, Germany|
|Family name||Desiro City|
|Replaced||Class 313 (from 2018)|
|Number under construction||25 units to be built|
|Capacity||362 seats |
|Line(s) served||Great Northern Route|
|Train length||121,674 mm (399 ft 2 3⁄8 in)|
|Car length||20.2 m (66 ft)|
|Width||2.80 m (9 ft 2 in)|
|Maximum speed||85 mph (137 km/h)|
|Weight||204 t (201 long tons; 225 short tons)|
|Power output||1,200 kW (1,600 hp) (at wheel)|
|Acceleration||0.85 m/s2 (2.8 ft/s2)|
|Electric system(s)||25 kV 50 Hz AC Catenary|
750 V DC Third rail
|Current collection method||Pantograph (AC)|
Contact shoe (DC)
|Safety system(s)||ETCS (B3MR1), AWS, TPWS, Tripcock|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Sources : Desiro City (Class 700) data sheet|
Except where noted
The Class 717 is an electric multiple unit being constructed for Great Northern by German rolling stock manufacturer Siemens for services from Moorgate, London. A total of 25 six-car units are to be built. They entered service in September 2018.
Upon winning the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise, Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) announced that it would seek to replace the existing Class 313 units (which were 40 years old by 2016) operating on services to and from Moorgate, with up to 25 six-car units intended to be procured. In December 2015, GTR announced that it had selected Siemens to provide this new fleet as a follow-on order from the main Class 700 order, with entry into service expected from the end of 2018. The order was finalised in February 2016.
|Class||Operator||No. Built||Year Built||Cars per unit||Unit nos.|
|Class 717||Great Northern||25||2018||6||717001–717025|
- British Rail Class 707 - A unit based on the Desiro City platform constructed for South West Trains.
- "Great Northern Class 717 EMUs unveiled". railwaygazette.com. Railway Gazette. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Desiro City Class 717 Electrical Multiple Units for Govia Thameslink Railway" (Leaflet). Munich: Siemens Mobility GmbH. Article No. MOML-T10055-00-7600.
- "Cab. 717003. Wildenrath. Germany. 2.5.18". paulbigland.zenfolio.com. Paul Bigland. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Siemens Desiro City Moorgate (Class 717): Derogation for a Project at an Advanced Stage of Development" (letter). London: Department for Transport. 12 January 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Side view of leading bogie. 717012. Wildenrath. Germany. 2.5.18". paulbigland.zenfolio.com. Paul Bigland. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "New Govia Thameslink Railway trains to be Class 717s". RAIL magazine. RAIL magazine. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "New Great Northern Class 717 carries first passengers".
- "Thameslink Franchise operator announced". rail.co.uk. rail.co.uk. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Siemens selected to supply Moorgate suburban EMU fleet". Railway Gazette. Railway Gazette. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "GTR strikes £200m-plus deal for new train fleet serving City of London". Siemens UK. Siemens UK. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- ":Letter from GTR to MP Mark Prisk" (PDF).
- Network Rail (2017-06-03). London North Eastern Route Sectional Appendix LOR 105 Seq 001. Module LNE1. p. 41. NR30018/02.
- "Testing begins on GTR's new Class 717S in Germany".
- "Desiro City – Electrical Multiple Unit for Thameslink" (PDF) (Datasheet). Siemens. 2013. Archived (PDF) from the original on 12 November 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2017.