British Rapidplay Chess Championships
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The British Rapidplay Chess Championships is a rapid play chess congress held in the UK annually since 1986 (with the exception of 1993) under the auspices of the English Chess Federation. The UK's premier weekend rapidplay congress includes The British Rapidplay Championship open to all players, and several grading restricted and junior tournaments. The tournament takes place over two days and consists of 11 rounds of chess . There are Open, Major, Intermediate, Minor and Junior categories. The event has been held in Leeds, Bradford and Halifax over the years.
- The Open winner in 2010 was Grandmaster (GM) David Howell, scoring 10½/11.
- The 25th anniversary event took place at Leeds Metropolitan University, Headingley, Leeds on 19 and 20 November 2011. The Open winner was GM Gawain Jones scoring 10½/11 points.
- The 2012 event took place again at the L.M.U. on 24 and 25 November. The winner was Jonathan Hawkins IM with 9/11.
- The 2013 event was played on 23 and 24 November at Leeds Metropolitan University, Headingley  and was won by GM Mark Hebden with 9.5/11.
- The 2014 event took place on 1 and 2 November and saw Jonathan Hawkins G.M. win with 10.5/11. Leeds Beckett University was the venue and saw a good turnout in all the main events. The event saw its 20th consecutive year under the British Rapidplay Chess Organization - Secretary B.Kitson, Treasurer S.Burton, Website S.Forbes, Honorary President M.Dow.
- The 2015 event took place at Leeds Beckett University on 31 October and 1 November.
The Joint Winners were G.M. Mark Hebden and I.M. Ameet Ghasi .
- The 2016 event took place on 12 and 13 November 2016 at Temple Moor High School,Leeds
The Joint Winners of the thirtieth anniversary event were I.M. Lorin D'Costa and I.M. Richard A Bates on 9/11 .
- The 2017 event will take place on November 18th/19th at Craiglands Hotel , Ilkley .
British Rapidplay Chess Champions
- 1986 Nigel Short
- 1987 Nigel Davies
- 1988 Murray Chandler, Glenn Flear, Julian Hodgson and John Nunn
- 1989 John Nunn
- 1990 Mark Hebden, Julian Hodgson, Jon Speelman and Alexander Wojtkiewicz
- 1991 Lev Polugaevsky and Jon Speelman
- 1992 William Watson
- 1993 No Contest
- 1994 Mark Hebden
- 1995 Michael Adams
- 1996 Michael Adams
- 1997 Stuart Conquest
- 1998 Keith Arkell
- 1999 Michael Adams
- 2000 Aaron Summerscale and Ameet Ghasi
- 2001 Mark Hebden
- 2002 Peter Wells
- 2003 Peter Wells
- 2004 Nicholas Pert
- 2005 Mark Hebden
- 2006 Danny Gormally and Richard Palliser
- 2007 Peter Wells
- 2008 David Howell
- 2009 David Howell and Mark Hebden
- 2010 David Howell
- 2011 Gawain Jones
- 2012 Jonathan Hawkins
- 2013 Mark Hebden
- 2014 Jonathan Hawkins
- 2015 Ameet Ghasi and Mark Hebden
- 2016 Lorin D'Costa and Richard A Bates
- "British Rapidplay Chess Championships homepage". Retrieved 6 August 2010.