British UFO Research Association
Jenny Randles (Director 1982 - 1994)|
Philip Mantle (Director 1995 -)
The British UFO Research Association or BUFORA is a UK organisation formerly registered as "BUFORA Ltd"; dedicated to investigating UFO phenomena in the British Isles. The organisation has around 1,000 members.
BUFORA investigates over 400 cases a year, with the organisation reporting 95% of them as hoaxes. They run witness support groups for those who believe they have encountered extra terrestrials. The organisation has held an annual conference at Sheffield Hallam University since 1987 and hold meetings across the country; with Rendlesham Forest being a frequent spot for gatherings. They have been outspoken critics of the UK government's Freedom of Information Act as it relates to UFOs.
An entry in the UFO Encyclopedia, which was a sighting confirmed as genuine by BUFORA, was later found to be a hoax. The supposed contactee, who claimed to have seen a UFO hovering over the town of Warminster, admitted to the hoax in 1994. In 1995, the group were the only official UFO organisation to endorse a film, purportedly by the US government, showing an alien autopsy at Roswell.
- Wavell, Stuart (13 July 1985). "Week-end People: Goodbye to little green men / Jenny Randles, national director of investigations at the British UFO Research Association". The Guardian.
- Martin, Andy (22 August 1995). "UFO buffs star in off the planet convergence". THE AUSTRALIAN.
- Ellis, Mark (25 June 1997). "UFO FANS SPOT PENTAGON'S '4TH ALIEN COVER-UP'; PENTAGON ACCUSED OF NEW ROSWELL ALIENS COVER UP". The Mirror.
- Roberts, Paul William (13 July 1991). "Of humanoid ants and white balls of light". The Toronto Star.
- Simon, Jane (9 May 1998). "THE CREATURES WERE GREEN WITH GLOWING EYES, AND WERE HOVERING ABOVE THE GROUND; INTERVIEW WITH BRITISH UFO RESEARCH ASSOCIATION INVESTIGATOR JUDITH JAAFAR". The Mirror.
- "Group sects; After dark secrets - You'd be surprised who meets up after dark". Time Out. 3 December 2003. p. 13.
- Stanistreet, Michelle (30 January 2005). "UFOs don't exist...Until You Bump Into One: Review". Sunday Express.
- Mouland, Bill (15 April 1994). "Why They Never Cottoned on to the Thing". Daily Mail.
- "Film of 'alien corpse' gives UFO fans a boost". The Vancouver Sun. 8 April 1995. pp. B52.