British and Irish Modern Music Institute
|Type||Higher Education & Further Education Modern Music College|
|Website||http://www.bimm.co.uk, http://www.bimm.ie and http://www.bimm-institute.de|
The British and Irish Modern Music (BIMM) Institute is a group of eight independent colleges with over 6,000 students that specialise in the provision of BIMM education in Brighton, Bristol, Dublin, Birmingham, Manchester, Berlin, Hamburg and London. All Colleges focus on full-time Further and Higher Education courses in guitar, drums, bass, songwriting, vocals, music production, music business, event management, music journalism, live sound & tour management and music teacher training (PGCert).
BIMM was founded in Brighton in 2001 as the Brighton Institute of Modern Music. BIMM Bristol opened in 2008. According to their website in 2010, BIMM Group acquired Tech Music School London (TMS) and in 2011 BIMM Dublin opened and in 2013, the group opened BIMM Manchester in 2014 followed by BIMM Berlin in 2015 and BIMM Birmingham in 2017. A campus will be opening in Hamburg in 2018.
In October 2014 the organisation was renamed the BIMM Institute, British and Irish Modern Music Institute. Tech Music School is now incorporated into BIMM London, based in Fulham.
In 2012 the Group became a full member of UCAS and the UK Colleges, Brighton, Bristol and London were successfully reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). In 2016 BIMM Limited, Brighton, Bristol and Manchester were successfully reviewed for educational oversight by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and were commended for the quality of student learning opportunities.
According to BIMM's website BIMM Degree programmes in London, Berlin, Hamburg, Brighton, Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham are validated by the University of Sussex Additionally, all level 3 Diploma provision is validated by Edexcel or Rockschool. BIMM Dublin courses are validated by Dublin Institute of Technology.
In January 2012 Adam Carswell was appointed as Managing Director, to lead the management team of Vaseema Hamilton (Principal BIMM Berlin, Brighton, Bristol & London), Dara Kilkenny (Principal BIMM Dublin & Manchester) and Andrew Bates (Director of Academic Quality).
In October 2012 the Group appointed Marketing Director, David O'Connor and in 2016 appointed a new Finance Director, David Jones-Owen.
Course and accreditations
The BIMM Institute offers a range of level 3 Diploma qualifications regulated by Edexcel and Rockschool. Higher Education Qualifications include, Certificate of Higher Education, Foundation Degree in Professional Musicianship, and BA (Hons) in Professional Musicianship.
Notable BIMM alumni
- George Ezra, Artist
- James Bay (singer), Artist
- Fontaines DC, Artists
- Ella Mai, Artist
- Tom Odell, Artist
- The Kooks, Artists
- Izzy Bizu, Artist
- Pale Waves, Artists
- Fickle Friends, Artists
- Black Honey, Artists
- Dani Wilde, Artist
- Ben Thompson Two Door Cinema Club, Artist
- Adam Pitts Lawson, Artist
- Luke Sital-Singh, Artist
- Sam Kelly, Artist
- Alessandro Liccardo, Artist Hangarvain, Producer, President - Volcano Records & Promotion
- Chloe Du Pre, Artist - Nicole Scherzinger, Cee Lo Green
- Alice Shaw, Artist - Carly Rae Jepsen, Darren Hayes, Rhythm of the 90s
- Toby Lawrence: Rhythm of the 90s drummer
- James Eldridge Rhythm of the 90s drummer
- Ryan O'Shaughnessy, Artist
- Benjamin Morgan, Artist - Ladyhawke
- Beth Rowley, Artist
- Fabio De Oliveira (Drums) George Ezra
- James Meadows, Product Manager - Universal Music Group
- Ed Cox, Label Manager - Mike Stock
- Jason King, Artist - The Gypsy Queens
- The Xcerts, Artists
- Kate Walsh, Artist
- Natasha Bent, Booking Agent - The Agency Group
- Jordan Whitmore, A&R - Atlantic Records
- Phil Simmonds: Jessie J, Plan B, Leona Lewis
- Ash Soan: Adele, Olly Murs, Leona Lewis, Nelly Furtado, Boyzone, Cee Lo Green, Ronan Keating, Seal, Producers
- Vicky Warwick: Cee Lo Green
- Nathan Curran: Basement Jaxx
- Marina Diamandis: Marina & the Diamonds
- Ed Drewett: Songwriter
- Julien Brown: Massive Attack, A1, Will Young, Kylie Minogue, Mariah Carey
- Phil Short: Chip (rapper) formerly known as Chipmunk
- Luke Harris: Wretch 32
- Pascal Consoli: Björk
- Jason Cooper: The Cure
- Tim O'Brien: Route 215
- Doug Fink: Noah and the Whale
- Graham Godfrey: Soweto Kinch, Gabrielle
- Sebastian Steinberg: Lily Allen
- Simon Tellier: Tinchy Stryder
- Thom Mills: Skinny Lister drummer
- Chloe Jones, The Voice UK contestant
- Charlie Martin: Head of Entertainment, UNILAD
- Yonaka, Artist
- Adam "Nolly" Getgood: Producer and former bassist of progressive metal band Periphery
- "About BIMM Music College". Brighton Institute of Modern Music. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
We're delighted to be bringing our unique music education offer to Manchester from 2013.
- "Review for Educational Oversight: Tech Music School, November 2012". Qaa.ac.uk. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "BIMM, Brighton and Bristol". Qaa.ac.uk. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Review for Educational Oversight". qaa.ac.uk. QAA. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Course Specifications | Brighton". BIMM. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Music Courses & Degrees available at BIMM Music College | Dublin". BIMM. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.